Can't be aligned? WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front end parts started going bad last fall, replaced lower ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links in December. Alignment was way off (shop didn't have an alignment rack, and no clue...). Broke my ankle, couldn't drive from early Dec to mid-Feb, so truck sat half the winter. Finally able to drive, went to have it aligned, was told my driver's side axleshaft was bad, had to have that replaced - while having it done, had the shop (a different one) elongate the upper control arm mounting slots to have more alignment adjustability.

Took it to Sears, had it aligned.... was told they could only get the camber within a degree of factory spec, as the torsions had been turned. OK, figured it was close enough.... until it "popped" 4 days later, steering wheel was turned to 2:00. Had it realigned the next day, again within a degree... until I drove less than 2 miles, it "popped" again as I made a turn. Had it redone the next day, steering wheel was off-center (about 12:30), but tracked fairly straight, figured I'd have it redone as soon as I got new tires.

Forward to last week (about 2 months later). Driving on the NYS Thruway, truck was all over the road, was being thrown 2-3 feet as I was going over ridges and expansion joints. WTF? Took it in today, after turning the torsions DOWN about 3 turns, figured they should be able to easily get the alignment within factory spec.

WRONG.

Was told they couldn't get the alignment/camber within THREE degrees now, and they couldn't figure out why. Was advised to have a frame shop look at it, see if it's been in an accident. Huh??? It WAS able to be aligned before I replaced parts, even with the torsions turned almost to the max, and now that I've dropped it back down (over an inch), Sears tells me they can't do it, even with having the holes elongated???

Anyone else as clueless as I am?

brucebruce45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of angles an set up would help, and **** sears id go so
Where else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet