Can I swap 2nd row bench for captains in 2012 XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I edited this post.

I'm looking for a Yukon XL with the 2nd row captains chairs, but if the right one comes along and has a bench, would I be able to swap that to buckets and be able to have 2nd row heated seats?

Reason I ask is the power folding bench, can I swap the buckets into a vehicle with a power folding 2nd row bench? Do some of the captains chairs come with a power fold option?

Would the connection be the same?

I have browsed the forums but not sure if the electrical connector is the same.

Also, has anyone successfully modified the 2nd row bench to recline? I did see there was a kit for the 3rd row albeit expensive.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can swap them, no issues. The Denali’s come with power fold in both bucket and bench form, and I believe the connectors are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I edited this post.

I'm looking for a Yukon XL with the 2nd row captains chairs, but if the right one comes along and has a bench, would I be able to swap that to buckets and be able to have 2nd row heated seats?

Reason I ask is the power folding bench, can I swap the buckets into a vehicle with a power folding 2nd row bench? Do some of the captains chairs come with a power fold option?

Also, has anyone successfully modified the 2nd row bench to recline? I did see there was a kit for the 3rd row albeit expensive.

Thanks for any input.
Did you end up buying one with a bench or buckets?

Janae61

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have 2015 Denali xl captains chairs. Are you still looking to trade?

03_GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I edited this post.

Thanks for any input.
Did you find a vehicle yet? I have the tan interior and want a Bench for the second row. Depending where you’re at I’d be down to trade.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, very sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy and have a lot on the plate. While on vacation I believe this went to spam and this is my first visit back here, not sure where the last 3 months went.

@alpha_omega I did get one with a bench.

@03_GMC I did find a 2012 XL Denali with tan interior.

The issue is, I would like two captains chairs, but that bench made a world of difference while on vacation. I just cannot believe GM fixed the seat back on the bench and won't allow it to recline. I think for now we're going to keep the bench, has come in handy a number of times since the purchase.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed bench? Seriously? It has tilt forward to fold, but no recline whatsoever? Hmm…

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed bench? Seriously? It has tilt forward to fold, but no recline whatsoever? Hmm…
I was completely bamboozled over this. GM's flagship line of family haulers, Suburbans alike, 2nd row bench only folds forward.

Our Highlander has reclining 2nd row bench AND 3rd row reclines, just cannot remotely compete for cargo room.

Looking at the mechanisms, I wonder if a donor set of captains chairs would be able to swap parts for the sides of the seats? Would have to match in terms of manual or power folding.

Wasn't a dealbreaker, but a huge "scratch your head" moment on how this was the norm for GM.

Someone had to been on the design team saying to their buddies...

"Yeah, what a great idea to manufacture our largest people hauler with no option for long-trip comfort."