Can i install aftermarket speakers with new dd and bose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shahking1120

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a pioneer avh 5800bhs installed by a local shop, everything else still stock on my 2011 tahoe with bose.

I feel like the speakers sound like shit now, is there something i should be doing differently?

They installed all of the modules to retain onstar and steering controls, etc.

I was thinking of moderately upgrading the front and rear door speakers, but wasnt sure if i could?

also, any recommendations on a front camera? i like my rear hooked up to the mirror, but was wanting something for when i have to park in the garage at work.

Thanks so much!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried messing with the EQ? Normally on the 07-14 if you just swap the radio, the sound should actually improve just a little

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried messing with the EQ? Normally on the 07-14 if you just swap the radio, the sound should actually improve just a little
x2. In my experience, the sound has always improved when swapping in a new unit, especially in GM stuff. Try messing with the equalizer.

The only other thing I can think of that might have affected your sound quality is the decrease in RCA preout voltage. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the Bose system is a 6.5 volt preout from the factory deck and the Pioneer you switched to has 4 volt preouts. Still, you certainly aren't the first person to put a HU with 4 volt preouts into a Bose-equipped vehicle and I haven't seen any complaints from people who have, so I doubt this is the case.

I doubt replacing the speakers will have much of an effect, unless your current speakers are blown. Replacing the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp, however, would make a huge difference.

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score
I messed a with the equalizer! big difference, i guess the presets arent that great. but in all honesty, i have no idea what im doing! and also have no idea what a crossover is... googling commence!!

x2. In my experience, the sound has always improved when swapping in a new unit, especially in GM stuff. Try messing with the equalizer.

The only other thing I can think of that might have affected your sound quality is the decrease in RCA preout voltage. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the Bose system is a 6.5 volt preout from the factory deck and the Pioneer you switched to has 4 volt preouts. Still, you certainly aren't the first person to put a HU with 4 volt preouts into a Bose-equipped vehicle and I haven't seen any complaints from people who have, so I doubt this is the case.

I doubt replacing the speakers will have much of an effect, unless your current speakers are blown. Replacing the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp, however, would make a huge difference.

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score

im assuming some new door speakers wouldnt do shit because of the factory amp?

weird thing happened today, when i used the steering control to go back and forward, either a song, or a radio station, the volume goes to max...

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to do with the Bose speakers being a funky ohm resistance setup to work specifically with Bose amp and headunit from factory.

You know your going to swap out the speakers sometime.. Haaa. most guys who flip out head units end up doing more.. It's never enough with the audio or perfomance stuff huh? :2cents:

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im assuming some new door speakers wouldnt do shit because of the factory amp?

Partially because of this:

It has to do with the Bose speakers being a funky ohm resistance setup to work specifically with Bose amp and headunit from factory.

And also just because, for the most part, speakers are speakers. It'd be one thing if you were changing the factory speakers out of a 1986 Oldsmobile, but this is a modern SUV with "premium" audio. Changing the signal that goes to the speakers will make the major difference you're looking for.

Honestly, if you're not happy with the Pioneer/Bose combo, you should probably just save a couple bucks and install an aftermarket amp with new speakers and eliminate the Bose stuff completely.

Side note: I just installed a Kenwood DDX6902S using an iDatalink Maestro RR and GM5+ harness in my '07 Denali with Bose and the sound quality improved dramatically, even without messing with the EQ.

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer Z140 in an 08 Tahoe (so the speakers should be about the same I would think), similar but older than the 5800bhs and mine flat out jams. Everything in the truck just about interfaces to that Bose amp. I even had to buy a new blinker module believe it or not. I'm still using my Bose door speakers and factory amp. I had the JL digital amp mount under the right rear seat under the panel so you don't see it. I also had the factory 6.5in sub changed out for the JL stealthbox 10. When the battery is disconnected, basically resetting the radio, I have to readjust the EQ. I was going to install the Focal's in the door and had wires already pulled to the left rear seat in prep... but honestly don't need it. You might want to ride by the stereo shop and have them tune it... or maybe go to a competitor stereo shop just to see if they can tune it. I know the guy who installed mine doesn't like highs or lows so I had to retune it. Seems like there is a "sound stage" in the radio which focuses more sound to the front speakers and then I tune the EQ to a nice curve.

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer Z140 in an 08 Tahoe (so the speakers should be about the same I would think), similar but older than the 5800bhs and mine flat out jams. Everything in the truck just about interfaces to that Bose amp. I even had to buy a new blinker module believe it or not. I'm still using my Bose door speakers and factory amp. I had the JL digital amp mount under the right rear seat under the panel so you don't see it. I also had the factory 6.5in sub changed out for the JL stealthbox 10. When the battery is disconnected, basically resetting the radio, I have to readjust the EQ. I was going to install the Focal's in the door and had wires already pulled to the left rear seat in prep... but honestly don't need it. You might want to ride by the stereo shop and have them tune it... or maybe go to a competitor stereo shop just to see if they can tune it. I know the guy who installed mine doesn't like highs or lows so I had to retune it. Seems like there is a "sound stage" in the radio which focuses more sound to the front speakers and then I tune the EQ to a nice curve.

hmm... yeah maybe my tune is bad

is there any way you could maybe post a pic of your eq settings? im getting better sound since messing with it, but nothing that i would say is better than stock.

mrcajunjoker

Reaction score
See if that helps... I know you're radio is newer so I don't know if you'll have all of the settings but mine sounds good enough not to spend the money on a new radio and adapters....

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7046.JPG

IMG_7047.JPG

IMG_7048.JPG

IMG_7049.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb

Latest posts