cam in 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king 'kon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any info. on swapping in an ls6 hotcam into my 5.3 yukon. Just wanted to know which valvesprings to use and pushrods Any recommendations would be great

viximaging

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can use stock ls6 valve springs 7.4" pushrods too.. If you going to boost I would step up to some pacs and tsp pushrods..

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
already have the cam? I bet later you'll regret it, and want something a tad larger....like the Comp 212/218.

OP
OP
K

king 'kon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no I don't have a cam yet, Ijust don't think I have the need to spend 4 or 5 g's on a blower I have an R1 in the garage when I want to go that fast jus t a little quicker around town would be nice

viximaging

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with a 222/224 thats just me or the cam stated above.. or the diamond MTI X1 if you can find that one put it in.. you will love it

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i hear alot of guys talk about after the hot cam they want to go a little bigger. But i love my cam. I called Texas Speed and told them what i want and this is what i got(in sig). Now i just need a little bit bigger stall and ill be set.

And also stock z06 springs and 7.4 pushrods will be fine. Thats what i have.

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
already have the cam? I bet later you'll regret it, and want something a tad larger....like the Comp 212/218.

Exactly!

Had this cam in my 04 5.3 Z71. It was awesome!!

After a lil tuning it even loped awesome!!

Just need Z06 valve springs to run that cam.

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. did you do the install yourself?

No, had my friend up in Michigan install.

The LS engines are Easy to put cams in, no need to pull the intake, just need to pull the front accessories off the engine and if i remem the radiator also.

That will give you access to the cam.

The heads you will need a valve spring compressor and a connector to to put compressed air into the spark plug hole to hold up valve train while you change out the valve spring.

Also need a tool or 3/8 bent tubibg to insert into the block to hold up the lifters.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
In the past, with the rockers off the valves, I would just rotate the cam to push up the lifters and they would stay in thier spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900