Buzzing rear wiper motor not working - Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestLinnYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm posting this as a solution in case it is helpful for someone because it was bear to figure out. Rear wiper was not working and made a humming or buzzing noise. Almost like a bad motor. Fuses and switch ok. Took motor out, looked okay but ruled out everything else so I got a wrecking yard motor. Installed and same exact noise. Accidentally touched bracket to hatch while testing and it started working. Bad ground somewhere in system. Used a couple self tappers to run a ground wire from bracket to tailgate, works perfect.

Tip: The rear wiper harness has two pig tails that run to both latches so wiper stops when door is open. If testing when door is open, unplug harnesses as this replicate closed to switch.

Hope this saves you a trip to u-pull-it wrecking yard and a bunch of time...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm posting this as a solution in case it is helpful for someone because it was bear to figure out. Rear wiper was not working and made a humming or buzzing noise. Almost like a bad motor. Fuses and switch ok. Took motor out, looked okay but ruled out everything else so I got a wrecking yard motor. Installed and same exact noise. Accidentally touched bracket to hatch while testing and it started working. Bad ground somewhere in system. Used a couple self tappers to run a ground wire from bracket to tailgate, works perfect.

Tip: The rear wiper harness has two pig tails that run to both latches so wiper stops when door is open. If testing when door is open, unplug harnesses as this replicate closed to switch.

West Linn, Oregon near Clackamas or West Linn County, Oregon...Albany, Corvallis or J.C.? Or somewhere else? That's a Jackson's fuel stop in the background.

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Do you know if the front wiper motor has a ground too?
I get the same buzzing noise ! But I can’t seem to chase wires and see where the grounds supposed to go - was meddling underneath with the drivetrain, reinstalled the lockdown cable and then all of a sudden the wipers stopped moving too!

TahoeYukonTNfam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Dude you are a damn genius. I had a bad motor (proven now) but got the clicking with a new out of box motor. Was ready to drive the truck into the lake when I found this. Sure enough...

Bad ground. Ran a jumper wire from one of the 10mm bolts holding the motor assy to the 10mm holding the latch assembly. Works like new.

THANK YOU!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99