Buying used...any input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakerh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in the market for a Denali XL or Suburban. I’m looking for one that is fully loaded. My wife is set on second row bench as opposed to buckets which are hard to come by. I found a 2 owner pearl white 2011 with 135,000 that appears to be nice from the pictures I saw. It is listed at $16,400. I also found a single owner 2013 black one with 180,000 miles listed at $15,500. Anybody have any input? Also, what should I look for when looking at these as I have never bought GMC.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in the market for a Denali XL or Suburban. I’m looking for one that is fully loaded. My wife is set on second row bench as opposed to buckets which are hard to come by. I found a 2 owner pearl white 2011 with 135,000 that appears to be nice from the pictures I saw. It is listed at $16,400. I also found a single owner 2013 black one with 180,000 miles listed at $15,500. Anybody have any input? Also, what should I look for when looking at these as I have never bought GMC.

The owner with the 2013 is dreamin' unless he's in a hot market. Captain's Chairs are more comfortable IMO and someone here or on your local Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist is always selling the bench and buckets or looking to swap.

You want to make sure EVERYTHING works and try to get all the service records. The achilles heel of these trucks is the AFM system. Take your time looking and be willing to travel to find the one you want and at the right price. Many of us here, myself included, traveled long and far.

Where do you live? It would be great to have a Tech-2 to see inside the computer system when checking prospective trucks out. Plan on buying one (or something equivalent) as you cannot effectively work on or diagnose problems without one.

Plan to do any towing? Learn the RPO codes of the features you want so you can check the sheets. Alternatively, you can pay compnine $5 for 5 VIN checks or something like that and get the sheet with all the codes and meanings. Do the same with Carfax.

OP
OP
J

Jakerh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The owner with the 2013 is dreamin' unless he's in a hot market. Captain's Chairs are more comfortable IMO and someone here or on your local Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist is always selling the bench and buckets or looking to swap.

You want to make sure EVERYTHING works and try to get all the service records. The achilles heel of these trucks is the AFM system. Take your time looking and be willing to travel to find the one you want and at the right price. Many of us here, myself included, traveled long and far.

Where do you live? It would be great to have a Tech-2 to see inside the computer system when checking prospective trucks out. Plan on buying one (or something equivalent) as you cannot effectively work on or diagnose problems without one.

Plan to do any towing? Learn the RPO codes of the features you want so you can check the sheets. Alternatively, you can pay compnine $5 for 5 VIN checks or something like that and get the sheet with all the codes and meanings. Do the same with Carfax.

OP
OP
J

Jakerh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in Ohio. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1GKS2MEFXDR281835&partner=COO_0 Here is the car fax for the 2013. It is from a dealer. I heard that you couldn’t swap buckets for a bench. At least that’s what someone at the dealership told me. I can get you the link for the actual listing if you’d like to see it. It looks super clean. Has a significantly long maintenance record of things done. I don’t plan on towing anything but my 5 kids

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be sure to look around and test drive a few before jumping the gun, like James said take a look farther out you might find a gem, it took me a few months and airplane ticket to get mine and drive it home, the reason I say test drive is so you get a feel of what these trucks are supposed to drive like and sound like that way no one is going to slip one on you that may have potential problems, I would also recommend a drivetrain warranty if one is on the table, don't go with the cheapest option go middle of the road and read the fineprint, usually the cheaper warranties will be worded something like "covers parts that break before there expected lifetime" whereas the better warranty will say " covers parts that break from normal wear and tear" just a heads up. good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jakerh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. So is it possible to switch the He bucket seats for a bench seat in the 07-14 models without too much of a hassle?

OP
OP
J

Jakerh22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If anyone comes across any nice deals let me know. I’m not opposed to flying somewhere to pick one up. I did that with my wife’s Last car

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Ohio. https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1GKS2MEFXDR281835&partner=COO_0 Here is the car fax for the 2013. It is from a dealer. I heard that you couldn’t swap buckets for a bench. At least that’s what someone at the dealership told me. I can get you the link for the actual listing if you’d like to see it. It looks super clean. Has a significantly long maintenance record of things done. I don’t plan on towing anything but my 5 kids

I see several things that have me curious and one sets off alarms. First, the extensive maintenance, like the fact that it is on its third set of hubs. Maybe this is normal for an AWD truck, IDK. Curiously, there's mention of the cabin air filter being replaced in October 2018. These did not come with them but someone could have added it, like many of us have. Finally, the entry for 12/3/2018 is code for major engine problems. Probably AFM failure at this point. Mine had a similarly worded carfax and when I finally got my hands on the service records, the whole AFM system had been replaced. The good thing is the truck runs great! Just something to watch for. You could contact Junction Auto Sales and ask for the service records and they may email them to you as PDFs. I've had dealers request proof of ownership and others who did not.

Found the ad and she looks really nice but pics are kinda dark. My concern is the mileage versus price. She's well optioned and has the trailer brake controller which is nice. Are you prepared for regular monthly repairs and maintenance at this mileage including the rebuilding/replacement of the transmission and transfer case and front differential for example?

https://www.fredmartinsuperstore.co...denali-awd-4d-sport-utility-1gks2mefxdr281835

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne