Broken intake valve at 113,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Esko07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all! New member here and I really appreciate all of the threads on various issues. Has helped me tremendously on previous repairs.

I have a 2007 Escalade AWD with the 6.2L. Recently while getting on it and accelerating on the freeway the engine straight up popped and had instant loss of power. Check engine light flashing and stabilitrak came on right away. I drove it another 1/2 mile barely to exit and parked it. Towed it home, scanned it and only had P0300 (random misfire), and instantly compression tested it. All cylinders were great and over 160 psi but cylinder 3 was dead 0 psi.

At this point, I figured a broken valve spring. Took off valve cover but instead I found broken intake valve on the stem right by the retainer clip! Couldn’t believe it. Maybe it was caused by valve float? Or did timing jump? I can see where the piston hit valve but I got lucky and no sign of damage to piston visually. Valve was of course bent though.

Truck has 113,000 miles and has had Mobil 1 synthetic oil change every 4,000 miles. Truck has been pretty reliable in the last 6 years of ownership. Took the head off and it’s currently at machine shop getting all new valves, seals, and springs put on.

My question is what do you think caused this? Should I check the camshaft, timing chain,
replace oil pump, camshaft position sensor, actuator magnet, etc?? I’m a little strapped for cash so trying to make accurate repairs myself but don’t want to re-assemble just to have to break it down again. Any help or similar situation would be great!! Thank you all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New member here and I really appreciate all of the threads on various issues. Has helped me tremendously on previous repairs.

I have a 2007 Escalade AWD with the 6.2L. Recently while getting on it and accelerating on the freeway the engine straight up popped and had instant loss of power. Check engine light flashing and stabilitrak came on right away. I drove it another 1/2 mile barely to exit and parked it. Towed it home, scanned it and only had P0300 (random misfire), and instantly compression tested it. All cylinders were great and over 160 psi but cylinder 3 was dead 0 psi.

At this point, I figured a broken valve spring. Took off valve cover but instead I found broken intake valve on the stem right by the retainer clip! Couldn’t believe it. Maybe it was caused by valve float? Or did timing jump? I can see where the piston hit valve but I got lucky and no sign of damage to piston visually. Valve was of course bent though.

Truck has 113,000 miles and has had Mobil 1 synthetic oil change every 4,000 miles. Truck has been pretty reliable in the last 6 years of ownership. Took the head off and it’s currently at machine shop getting all new valves, seals, and springs put on.

My question is what do you think caused this? Should I check the camshaft, timing chain,
replace oil pump, camshaft position sensor, actuator magnet, etc?? I’m a little strapped for cash so trying to make accurate repairs myself but don’t want to re-assemble just to have to break it down again. Any help or similar situation would be great!! Thank you all.
This is the first failure of a valve stem at that point I’ve ever heard of on one of these. Not that my experience is complete, but it’s a rare event. My guess is a metallurgical flaw in the valve stem.

When it dropped, it surely smacked the piston. I would clean the top of the piston up completely and make a thorough visual inspection at a minimum and consider a dye penetrant inspection for any cracks.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is a tread with interesting opinions on the 6.2. Plus a video on a tear down.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of troubling the Random/Multiple misfire code. If the problem was isolated to the one cylinder, I would have expected a P0303.

FWIW, P0300 doesn't automatically mean you have a random misfire. You can have consistent misfires in more than one cylinder and have it produce a P0300. Knowing which cylinders had the misfire might help a lot.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Valve spring weak and stretched out? Anything wrong with the retainer? Just a fluke then maybe.

OP
OP
E

Esko07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the first failure of a valve stem at that point I’ve ever heard of on one of these. Not that my experience is complete, but it’s a rare event. My guess is a metallurgical flaw in the valve stem.

When it dropped, it surely smacked the piston. I would clean the top of the piston up completely and make a thorough visual inspection at a minimum and consider a dye penetrant inspection for any cracks.
I know, This seems extremely rare. I can see where the valve hit the piston but looks like it was bouncing on top of it. Cleaned the top of piston and no cracks and cylinder walls look legit. Think I got lucky somehow. Just got the head back from machine shop and putting it all together as we speak. Even took timing cover off, replaced oil pump and checked timing. All is good so far. I’ll keep everyone posted when I fire her up at the end of week.

OP
OP
E

Esko07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Valve spring weak and stretched out? Anything wrong with the retainer? Just a fluke then maybe.
Yeah could have been a weak spring for sure. That’s my thought as well as it happened when I was accelerating to get over into the carpool lane. Timing all checks out fine. Retainer was fine and still attached to spring. Just got the head back from machine shop and re-assembling as we speak. Will keep you posted on results. Crossing my fingers.

OP
OP
E

Esko07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kind of troubling the Random/Multiple misfire code. If the problem was isolated to the one cylinder, I would have expected a P0303.

FWIW, P0300 doesn't automatically mean you have a random misfire. You can have consistent misfires in more than one cylinder and have it produce a P0300. Knowing which cylinders had the misfire might help a lot.
I thought of this as well but sometimes it takes time to kick a code for a specific cylinder. I shut her down pretty quick after the pop and reduced power. After dissembling and compression testing all cylinders, cylinder 3 was definite the culprit. Not saying others didn’t contribute but this is just my opinion from visual inspection putting it back together soon and will let you know results. I’m also replacing plugs, plug wires, oil pump, and camshaft position sensor since I’m this far into it.

OP
OP
E

Esko07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There is a tread with interesting opinions on the 6.2. Plus a video on a tear down.
Just watched this! Oh wow, not good news at all. Praying mine fires right back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons