BRAND new tahoe high pitched whine on accel (in neutral)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westcoastmechanic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my girl bought a BRAND NEW 5.3L 2023 tahoe, 0KM

at 200 KM i took it for a drive and noticed a high pitched frequency / whine noise on acceleration.

it literally sounds like the engine is supercharged or has a turbo. it gets worse when its hot. brought it back to dealer, they are trying to play it off like its nothing.

has anybody experienced this? it almost sounds like a loose pipe on a turbocharged engine would.. also when its hot and you put it in neutral and press the accel lightly you can hear a significant squeal from the belt train.. its brief but extremely noticable

anybody have this ?

CAPantherFan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new 2023 Tahoe with 6.2L and the transmission makes a bit of a whirring noise going from gear 3 to 4 then disappears. The car runs great and engine sounds nice and throaty and loving the car so far except for that bit of whirring from the transmission.

I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I get it serviced. I'll let you know.

Tahoered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes to everything you asked. 6.2 with 4600 miles. Little minor whining sound upon acceleration specifically from 1st and 2nd gear really. Small bird chirping sound when starting vehicle and upon slowing down very briefly. That bird chirp has got to be a belt of some sort. Research is leading me to it being the idler pulley or alternator belt. As for the whine, GM is stating it is perfectly normal, lol. My whine sound started after I changed my oem brakes to the GM Performance Brembo kit that’s available for the Tahoe.

xanadu79

Reaction score
I had this exact issue with my ‘21 XL Denali. Sounded like a supercharger whine. Dealer replaced a transmission cover in the transmission. It took 28 days to get the parts and complete but that’s another story.

Tahoered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell dealership to check the idler pulley. These GM trucks can start that whine fairly brand new. It will usually whine during acceleration from a start especially on the lower gears like 1st and 2nd. I am 99% certain it is not your transmission. Either idler pulley or one of the other belts (Alternator).

onsteder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes to everything you asked. 6.2 with 4600 miles. Little minor whining sound upon acceleration specifically from 1st and 2nd gear really. Small bird chirping sound when starting vehicle and upon slowing down very briefly. That bird chirp has got to be a belt of some sort. Research is leading me to it being the idler pulley or alternator belt. As for the whine, GM is stating it is perfectly normal, lol. My whine sound started after I changed my oem brakes to the GM Performance Brembo kit that’s available for the Tahoe.
I was on here looking up a different issue and saw your post about the chirp sound so I created an account to tell you what I found on my 21 Tahoe. It was the stupid exhaust valve in front of the muffler. The chirp sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side area and it squeaks when there is a sudden burst of exhaust such as starting or when downshifting at low speed. I wired the butterfly open on the valve with some solid 12ga copper wire and have not heard the chirp in 20k miles. Downside is that when DFM is active, there is a bit more exhaust drone inside the cab. Hope this helps.

Tahoered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on here looking up a different issue and saw your post about the chirp sound so I created an account to tell you what I found on my 21 Tahoe. It was the stupid exhaust valve in front of the muffler. The chirp sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side area and it squeaks when there is a sudden burst of exhaust such as starting or when downshifting at low speed. I wired the butterfly open on the valve with some solid 12ga copper wire and have not heard the chirp in 20k miles. Downside is that when DFM is active, there is a bit more exhaust drone inside the cab. Hope this helps.
Wow! I would've never thought of exhaust. Great info! When I go for my next oil change this is something I'll have to explore. Pulling up on ppl in a new SUV with bird churping sounds is not too shabby. Already got questioned about that sound already.

onsteder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! I would've never thought of exhaust. Great info! When I go for my next oil change this is something I'll have to explore. Pulling up on ppl in a new SUV with bird churping sounds is not too shabby. Already got questioned about that sound already.
If yours is a consistent chirp chrip chirp, it may not be the exhaust valve and indeed some accessory pulley on the engine.

Probably dont need to wait for an oil change, If you lay on your back and creep under the middle passenger side (engine off), you can actuate the exhaust valve by hand. If I opened mine fully and let go it would squeak pretty loud as the spring closed it. I don't know why they thought a metal on metal valve wouldn't eventually squeak. If the actuation is slow, no squeak.

Last edited: