Brake peddle goes to the floor....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe has been sitting for a few months now,its been off the road since march.Normally i'll go out and start it and move it around some to help keep things in good working order and keep shit from locking up.

The last time i went to do this my E-brake light came on and my brake peddle went damn near to the floor.

I did not see any visiable brake fluid leaks and the brake fluid reservoir is still full,atleast the back half was full,the front half was pretty much empty,not sure if thats normal.Also the vehicle still stops and brakes work.I just don't have shit for brake peddle pressure....

any ideas what could have caused this?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If your pedal goes to the floor several times the the warning light and an empty reservoir section YOU HAVE A LEAK. You just cant see it yet. Find it soon and use soap or brake cleaner to clean up the mess as it will destroy paint and finishes. It will continue to stop but with half it original strength. That is by design. I would say age or corrosion has eaten thru a line or seal. Look for oily residue damp areas around the inside of wheels. Drum brakes can hide some fluid for a bit. before it shows.

Last edited:

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said that there are no leaks and the res is still full, that only leaves the master cylinder being bad. The seal probably took a crap and is blowing fluid by. What happens if you suddenly nail the brake pedal fast and hard a few times? Does it get better?

Just noticed you said the front half was empty. Your front brake pads may be worn and the level of the fluid was not high enough when the brake pads were done last to take up the slack. Try filling it up some, removing a caliper and pressing the piston in to get the air back out through the master.

Last edited:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was empty it probably sucked in some air and you have an air bubble. I had a similar situation on my Camaro, the seat at the back of the master was no good and all the fluid was ending up in the booster ... could be that too ..

OP
OP
Danny_Z56

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys.

What you all have said makes sense and i will have to start checking out everything real good.I wanted to get some sort of idea first before i dug into it.

Yeah the lines are quite rusty so i would not be shocked if one was leaking somewere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st tahoe