Brake light on dash works backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently had an an issue with one of the brake lines to a tire, so had to get that fixed. After I got it back, the brake warning light on the console (the one that comes on when the emergency brake is on) stays lit. Except when I push the pedal down at least half way (I can actually be stopped and holding the pedal down enough to be stationary, but the light will stay on until I push the pedal down further). The parking brake is not engaged and otherwise the brakes work fine. What in the world would cause it to act that way?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently had an an issue with one of the brake lines to a tire, so had to get that fixed. After I got it back, the brake warning light on the console (the one that comes on when the emergency brake is on) stays lit. Except when I push the pedal down at least half way (I can actually be stopped and holding the pedal down enough to be stationary, but the light will stay on until I push the pedal down further). The parking brake is not engaged and otherwise the brakes work fine. What in the world would cause it to act that way?
I reckon that the brakes were not properly bled.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The shop says they bled them with the computer and manually as well. Something doesn't add up.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to tighten the self adjusters to see if pedal feels better. While backing up hit pedal kinda hard a few times. Jab It. Should bring pedal higher.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good idea. It's easy enough to do but I'll be a bit surprised if that resolves the issue.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I wanted to circle back on this one. Although a couple of pretty good shops were stumped by this, I found a third that figured it out. They said the rear shoes were way out of adjustment and there was a rust ridge on the rear drum (or drums, not sure if one or both). Brakes - and brake light! - now working normally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts