Body control module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an 06 Yukon Denali XL with 97k miles. I'm having issues with the power inside my truck doing strange things. I was driving on the freeway and all of the dash lights came on. Only the tach and speedo worked, other gauges were dead. AC was stopped blowing cold air, my radio amp stopped working but my radio was still on, my overhead dvd stopped working, and I could only roll down the drivers side window.

I pulled over, turned off the truck, and things were back to normal. A few miles down the road, same thing except this time the dash was completely dead and I couldn't roll down any windows. I pulled the negative battery cable off back home and checked the ground cable in the engine compartment. I cleaned both off, but same issue.

Drove the truck later that evening and it was perfect with zero issues.

Does this sound like a body control module? The truck runs perfect when this happens, no sign of reduced power or anything. I'm going on a road trip next week and I can't have these issues especially in this hot weather with kids in the car. Are body control module malfunctions common? My truck is completely stock with only an aftermarket radio.

OP
OP

06DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one has responded, but I figured I'd share what's been done. Took the car to the dealer today for diagnosis. They told me it's a bad BCM. I bought a brand new BCM so they installed it and programmed it. All seemed well for about an hour, then the issues started up again. All lights lit on dash, only tach and speedo working, AC no longer blowing cold air, radio amp dead, unable to remotely open other windows besides driver's side window. Back at the dealer again for additional troubleshooting.

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
Any updates on this??? I just experienced the exact same issue. I pulled the battery and alternator to check if I was getting a low voltage issue and they both are perfect. Does anyone have any ideas on this??

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
At a loss on this one. I've researched for hours yesterday with limited success on the NBS Yukon. There is a lot of info on similar issues on the NNBS that point to either a bad ground cable or a bad BCM. I'm starting with a ground cable, which hopefully is my issue. I will update with my results.

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
Well after many hours under my Denali I ended up bringing it over to a Friend with a hoist that is a lot more patient and knowledgeable with electrical gremlins, we believe we have fixed the issue's.

I had started with the ground for good measure as there has been noted issues with it. This didn't correct this issue but it's nice piece of mind. after hours more of checking and verifying all was well under the hood my buddy started looking in the cabin. Unhooking the BCM he found corrosion on the harness. After properly cleaning and applying dielectric grease, most of the trucks functions returned, but not all. The lights on the cluster shut off and the gauges functioned, as well as the windows. However, the radio/nav was still dead. After pulling the center console and part of the steering column, he found that whoever installed the overhead DVD player did a hack job and cobbled the power wire which was grounding out on metal. He cleaned up the job and spliced it properly and checked everything else. Once it was buttoned back up he took it out on a test drive only to have the radio/nav die again. We ended up disconnecting the dvd player and getting the rest of the system to come back and leaving it disconnected. Thus far we have had no hiccups after driving it around all weekend. I don't know if there was any relation between the hack wiring job and the corrosion/bad connection on the BCM, but hopefully this will give others a good place to look if these issues occur.

OP
OP

06DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The hack wiring job will cause issues like this, such in my case. In my case, it was a combination of a bad alarm installer and a radio adapter with a faulty 30 amp relay. Is your radio/overhead dvd aftermarket? If so, I'd say make 100% sure that the installation was done properly, a wacky install will cause strange issues like this.

This issue drove me and my mechanic nuts. BCM was replaced, but the issues were still there. Turns out, the previous owner didn't use a GMOS-04 when he installed the aftermarket radio. He used another brand to retain Onstar and the door chimes. The adapter he used had a 30 amp relay and the relay was bad, causing the BCM to lose communication with the other modules. I removed the old radio adapter and replaced it with a GMOS-04, thus ridding of the faulty 30 amp relay.

The previous owner also had an aftermarket alarm that we removed. The installer for the radio and the aftermarket alarm did a major hack job and we must have removed a whole box full of cables, wires, misc sensors. We then had to go in and repair every single wire where the wires were tapped into. $800 of labor, the cost of a new BCM and reprogramming, and a GMOS-04 and my truck no longer exhibits any issues.

Good luck, I hope your issues are resolved.

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
Yes my truck is running like normal again, minus the overhead DVD. We are thinking the DVD is toast as when he reconnected it, the system freaked out, so for now its unhooked. Eventually I will buy a new one and have it installed properly, but its not on the top of my list.

Good to hear yours was fixed as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts