Blown shock seal on a Rancho RS7000

Discussion in 'Lifted Supension - Z71 & 4x4' started by Tozan, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Tozan

Tozan Overlander

Name:
    Charles
    I am heading to Arizona for a month this weekend so I took the rig in to rotate and balance tires. I was also replacing the spare with a new tire since they only had 4 tires in stock when I switched to the 35's.

The shock started leaking after they jacked it up to rotate the tires. It is a Rancho RS7000 strut and it decided to blow a seal. I guess it is better for it to blow now instead of on a trail or in the middle of nowhere. I guess it is time for an up grade...

I think I will be replacing it with a set of Fox shocks so I can correct my ride height since the fox shocks are adjustable too. But, finding someone here to do an alignment before Sunday most likely will be impossible and I have no clue who I can trust for a good alignment in the Phoenix area...

20191030_170013.jpeg

2. The_Burban

The_Burban Full Access Member

Name:
    Stephen
    They stopped making that kit I believe you have posted?y Try contacting them? Maybe they still support the product or can sell a replacement shock for time being vs Fox $$$$.

I agree with a Fox kit for your vehicle's use.

Never a good time to happen but there are worse times it could happen!

Good luck finding a shop...

Tozan likes this.
  3. Tozan

Tozan Overlander

Name:
    Charles
    Fox doesn't make a 2.0 for the Rancho lift kit. So I may have to go with another RS 7000 for now and design and machine a new mount later for the Fox 2.0 so it will work. Or bite the bullet and get a Fox 2.5

Either way I am going to deal with it after I get to Arizona. I will be there for a month and the ranch has a 3 car garage. So I may tear it apart and figure this all out then.

4. The Raven

The Raven Full Access Member

Name:
    Kevin
    I installed RS9000's in February and had a rear blow out in April. Thought the same thing you did - just get Fox 2.0s, but Rancho overnighted me a replacement and I threw it in as soon as I got it, so basically I completed the replacement less than 24 hours after I noticed the problem. Having a shock croak that fast may be a bit alarming, but having the manufacturer respond like that makes me confident enough to give them another chance.

5. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    "I think I will be replacing it with a set of Fox shocks so I can correct my ride height since the fox shocks are adjustable too. But, finding someone here to do an alignment before Sunday most likely will be impossible and I have no clue who I can trust for a good alignment in the Phoenix area..."

As I have said a few times, I have been away from running shops now for about 10 years and this statement interests me. I did not know that shocks were made that can adjust the ride height. I knew they were adjustable for stiffness for better feel and cornering but did not know they are made to adjust the height. I can see that if the shock has a spring on it that you can adjust and if that is what it is, is that the Fox shock you are talking about.

So now I can assume that the shocks you are talking about are coil over shocks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  6. Tozan

Tozan Overlander

Name:
    Charles

The shop in Reno (Folebeck) is not a shop I will ever do business with they do not stand by their poor workmanship and I would rather pay to replace them then take anything back to them...

Yes the 2.0 are coil over shocks.