Blown shock seal on a Rancho RS7000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I am heading to Arizona for a month this weekend so I took the rig in to rotate and balance tires. I was also replacing the spare with a new tire since they only had 4 tires in stock when I switched to the 35's.

The shock started leaking after they jacked it up to rotate the tires. It is a Rancho RS7000 strut and it decided to blow a seal. I guess it is better for it to blow now instead of on a trail or in the middle of nowhere. I guess it is time for an up grade...

I think I will be replacing it with a set of Fox shocks so I can correct my ride height since the fox shocks are adjustable too. But, finding someone here to do an alignment before Sunday most likely will be impossible and I have no clue who I can trust for a good alignment in the Phoenix area...

20191030_170013.jpeg

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They stopped making that kit I believe you have posted?y Try contacting them? Maybe they still support the product or can sell a replacement shock for time being vs Fox $$$$.

I agree with a Fox kit for your vehicle's use.

Never a good time to happen but there are worse times it could happen!

Good luck finding a shop...

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Fox doesn't make a 2.0 for the Rancho lift kit. So I may have to go with another RS 7000 for now and design and machine a new mount later for the Fox 2.0 so it will work. Or bite the bullet and get a Fox 2.5

Either way I am going to deal with it after I get to Arizona. I will be there for a month and the ranch has a 3 car garage. So I may tear it apart and figure this all out then.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed RS9000's in February and had a rear blow out in April. Thought the same thing you did - just get Fox 2.0s, but Rancho overnighted me a replacement and I threw it in as soon as I got it, so basically I completed the replacement less than 24 hours after I noticed the problem. Having a shock croak that fast may be a bit alarming, but having the manufacturer respond like that makes me confident enough to give them another chance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"I think I will be replacing it with a set of Fox shocks so I can correct my ride height since the fox shocks are adjustable too. But, finding someone here to do an alignment before Sunday most likely will be impossible and I have no clue who I can trust for a good alignment in the Phoenix area..."

As I have said a few times, I have been away from running shops now for about 10 years and this statement interests me. I did not know that shocks were made that can adjust the ride height. I knew they were adjustable for stiffness for better feel and cornering but did not know they are made to adjust the height. I can see that if the shock has a spring on it that you can adjust and if that is what it is, is that the Fox shock you are talking about.

So now I can assume that the shocks you are talking about are coil over shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I installed RS9000's in February and had a rear blow out in April. Thought the same thing you did - just get Fox 2.0s, but Rancho overnighted me a replacement and I threw it in as soon as I got it, so basically I completed the replacement less than 24 hours after I noticed the problem. Having a shock croak that fast may be a bit alarming, but having the manufacturer respond like that makes me confident enough to give them another chance.

The shop in Reno (Folebeck) is not a shop I will ever do business with they do not stand by their poor workmanship and I would rather pay to replace them then take anything back to them...

"I think I will be replacing it with a set of Fox shocks so I can correct my ride height since the fox shocks are adjustable too. But, finding someone here to do an alignment before Sunday most likely will be impossible and I have no clue who I can trust for a good alignment in the Phoenix area..."

As I have said a few times, I have been away from running shops now for about 10 years and this statement interests me. I did not know that shocks were made that can adjust the ride height. I knew they were adjustable for stiffness for better feel and cornering but did not know they are made to adjust the height. I can see that if the shock has a spring on it that you can adjust and if that is what it is, is that the Fox shock you are talking about.

So now I can assume that the shocks you are talking about are coil over shocks.

Yes the 2.0 are coil over shocks.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I ended up sticking another Rancho 7000 in there for the time being. After pulling the old shock out it measured 1.78 inches longer than the new shock is.....

The most likely reason for this is when Folbeck 4 wd installed the shock they used an impact wrench to tighten the shock nut and damaged the inside of the shock. It was just a matter of time before the shock came apart internally allowing it to over extend and blow the seal when the truck was lifted up.

So I finished swapping out the shock and made sure it was done right this time... I wonder now if and when the other side will self destruct in the future...

20191206_121603.jpeg

jogan

Reaction score
Sorry for off-topic
I have the same lift as you, did you ever get a chance to replace your UCA

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Sorry for off-topic
I have the same lift as you, did you ever get a chance to replace your UCA

Yes, I went with Moogs upper and lower and replaced all 4 I figured since it is all apart anyway and I would need an alignment then it would be best to replace them all at once. It rides great now and things are back to working the way they should. I wish I had replaced the adjusters and their bolts at the same time too.

jogan

Reaction score
Awesome thanks bro