Blown Headgasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you get white smoke on start up? Does your exhaust smell sweet? That would tell you if you're getting coolant into the cylinders. It could still be a head gasket, or even the head, depending on where the head cracked. What casting number do you have, 706?
Yea I’m pretty sure I have the 706, exhaust smells normal I think it’s just time to replace the coolant lines and radiator

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the amount your are losing over what time period?

I was loosing a pint an every few weeks. No leaks on the ground or hoses. Eventually I saw the radiator support was wet under the left radiator tank. It was weeping, but not enough to puddle on the ground. I replaced it and it's been holding rock solid level.
About a pint every 1-2 weeks

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I’m pretty sure I have the 706, exhaust smells normal I think it’s just time to replace the coolant lines and radiator
Have you looked all around the lines/rad for any weeping? Also if you haven’t changed the oil since this started I’d recommend it, just to look for sure if there’s any coolant in it. Sometimes it can’t be seen on the dipstick.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a pint every 1-2 weeks

That's too slow of a loss to visibly show in your oil. I wouldn't rule out a cracked head or failed head gasket. These types of leaks tend to only happen when it's warmed up and when driving, so they often pass the pressure check. It only takes about an hour to pop off the valve covers to inspect for the common Castech failure.

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil
Have you looked all around the lines/rad for any weeping? Also if you haven’t changed the oil since this started I’d recommend it, just to look for sure if there’s any coolant in it. Sometimes it can’t be seen on the dipstick.
was changed not too long ago, Didn’t see anything abnormal. I don’t see any leaks on the ground

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the weep holes on the water pump too. If you get a radiator, make sure it has the proper orifice in the tank return tube. Otherwise, the truck will never properly get to temp.
Will do

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's too slow of a loss to visibly show in your oil. I wouldn't rule out a cracked head or failed head gasket. These types of leaks tend to only happen when it's warmed up and when driving, so they often pass the pressure check. It only takes about an hour to pop off the valve covers to inspect for the common Castech failure.
I will check that, Thank you

OP
OP
W

Woldy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help y’all, I’m pretty sure I found the issue, I testing everything and it’s not a blown head gasket, I found a nice wet spot under the heater core lines and plastic fittings on the firewall, so I’ll get that replaced and let you guys know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10