2006 Yukon Denali XL Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all. My Yukon just developed a clunk that sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side. It isn't constant, but is happens every few seconds. It gets faster the faster I am driving. I took off the rear tires and checked for play and checked the bushings and they all look ok. I put the truck on jacks and put it into gear and accelerated, but there was no sound. I am thinking either U joint or an issue within the diff? Transmission shifts just fine. The Yukon has 130k miles. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A trailing arm bushing can "look" ok but could still have a loose mount. Is the sound while driving on a smooth road or on a bumpy road? You say it gets faster as you drive faster, but are you saying the klunk just gets faster or there is a rolling rhythm to it? Does the noise show up and then stop the second you apply the brake? Apply brake while maintaining speed and do not lift the accel and apply brake, use both feet. Could be a rock in the brakes. If it is not constant, then what seems to set it off? An increase in speed? A bump? A turn left or right? Can you record and post a link here?

OP
OP
Devlin

Devlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Smooth Driving
Clunk sound gets faster and and has rhythm the fast I drive.
Sound starts around 10 Mph and goes away when I slow down.
I will hit brakes while keeping the accelerator down tomorrow.
Checked the brakes and there aren't any rocks.
It is completely random. Turning doesn't affect it
Drove it 100 miles on Saturday and wife went to take it this morning and it started making the noise.
I just pulled out my GoPro and I am charging it to get a video tomorrow. I will post it up here tomorrow.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan