Black Bear Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i know this has been said over and over again but i wanted to put my .02 in.

So i had the Tahoe tuned by Justin this week. all i can say is wow what a difference. i wasn't sure what i was going to get out of the tune with such min. mods (MIT/K&N filter/SLP Res delete). but the power wasn't what i was really looking for, but the driveability.
so with that the driveability is amazing now. i couldn't be happier. i never knew how much the trans and DOD affects the truck. with the DOD off i could tell right a way how much more the truck responds while in cruise. no more random downshifts with the slightest incline.

now i always calculate the fuel economy whenever i get fuel. it was a 2 hr drive to see Justin. i averaged like always a lil better than 16 mpg. now on the way back i filled back up and reset the MPG calculator on the truck. when i got home it said 18 MPGs. now with my calculation with how much fuel was used 1/8 of a tank it was spot on.

so not only did my MPGs increase. but just driving was a lot more enjoyable.:favorites37:

its was such a difference that even my wife noticed it. and thats saying alot

White knight

Reaction score
May be a stupid question, but you are getting better mileage with the dod off? Just want to make sure I understand.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you calculating using actual miles driven divided by actual gallons of gas put in? Or are you going off of the DIC readings?

OP
OP
aflumb

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both. Just fyi its n the first post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

White knight

Reaction score
Also known as active fuel management in the gm world. It's when the engine shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders.

Sorry to clog this thread about it. But why would gm put it on the trucks if they can get better mileage without?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bone stock, AFM helps a little. But with the optimization justin does with the tuning in both the engine and the trans, some people see better results with it turned off. Everyone's situation is different and a lot depends on your driving style, location, and truck.

Personally, I'm beginning to wish that I had gotten it turned off. With all of the problems I'm having w/ my Airaid intake, I might get a re-tune with a different intake and have him turn AFM off at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909