Black Bear Tune on my 2011 5.3L Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: When wife was driving around in manual mode for a couple days after we reset the DIC, it went into the low 12's at first and then got up to 14.1

After resetting it, and me driving it around and babying it this weekend I'm in the low mid to 15's.

I've noticed it almost gets better fuel economy when I'm heavier on the accelerator upon take off. I feel it's bc it gets thru the gears more quickly and into a more fuel economical range instead of holding higher rpms longer bc of the higher rpm shift points built into the tune. I don't think that translates to real world fuel economy tho. Which leads me to believe the DIC is a little screwy after the the tune. Again I know, it's not accurate, it's just the only think I have to compare, since I know what the DIC was previously and what it's reading now.

There is less than 1/4 a tank left of the Costco gas left, so will be filling up with good gas this week and see how she responds. I will also be tracking the avg fuel Econ on the new tank, manually, by calculating by hand. The only thing I don't have to compare is a previous hand calculation of the avg mpg.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You may see better economy when not babying it. You spend less time at a lower gear, Leeds wasted energy through the TC.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenna, that's what I'm noticing. Justin had mentioned the same thing. Fwiw, I absolutely love the tune. The truck drives so much better.

I guess my main question at this point is: is there any way the drop in the DIC avg-mpg-reading, does Not reflect an actual drop in the real world fuel economy?

I'm okay with sacrificing a slight drop in MPG's for the improved drivability. On the hwy the tune really shows the improvement in fuel economy (again, going off the DIC). Looks like it's the in-town driving where the MPG's have dropped considerably, compared to the fuel economy of the stock tune. In-town is the majority of the driving our truck sees. Maybe we just keep it in Manual Mode for the commuting and grocery getting. I wasn't able to feel the difference in the transmission between (M)anual and (D)rive. Seemed like the shift points and kickdown were the same when I switched back and forth between them.

Anywho. Thank you and Justin for your help!

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, I am interested to see what the final MPG numbers are going to be after about a month.

Please keep us posted.

Cavan806

Reaction score
Bb tune

I had my tune done this weekend in Charlotte. I am more than happy with the results. My results are probably a little more dramatic than most since the previous owner had a really bad custom tune already on the truck when I bought it. I didnt know that until Justin plugged in and showed me. I had a thirty mile drive up to meet Justin (I reset the DIC when I left the house and again when I left to go home after the tune)and according to my DIC I was getting about 17 MPG on the way up and an astonishing 21 on the way home.
I know these results aren't typical but like I said I had a really bad tune on my truck already that was sucking all the power and efficiency away from the truck. Of course I love the fact that my truck drives much better and the additional Sport Mode now doesnt hurt either. However what I am most excited about is the fact that I know my engine is "healthy" now and running correctly or as it should.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cavan806. Nice. I actuallu don't think those hwy numbers are too out of the norm. I fully expect to get those numbers on hwy driving based upon the little bit we've done. Just haven't had a long trip to see.

Doesn't the tune make it drive like a dream. Before it never seemed like it was in the right range at 60mph and now my Tahoe feels like its driving effortlessly on the freeway. My wife said it felt like the Tahoe had lost weight :)

Cavan806

Reaction score
Your wife's description of the Tahoe after the tune is probably the best I can think to describe it!! It really does feel like its lighter on its wheels. It feels like I'm driving a completely different truck.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn I want one badddd,,, I'm going to have to go the autocal route since they are not close to me and I have two years warranty left, this way I can switch the tunes when I go to the dealer

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cavan806. Nice. I actuallu don't think those hwy numbers are too out of the norm. I fully expect to get those numbers on hwy driving based upon the little bit we've done. Just haven't had a long trip to see.

Doesn't the tune make it drive like a dream. Before it never seemed like it was in the right range at 60mph and now my Tahoe feels like its driving effortlessly on the freeway. My wife said it felt like the Tahoe had lost weight :)

Hey Macho, your wife's description of how your truck feels after a BB tune is freakin awesome! Nothing like a woman's perspective. With a BB tune my truck now feels like it is always on the right gear and if it needs to downshift, it does so effortlessly. In short, it drives like a completely different truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reusch84