Black Bear Performance Tune Event Atlanta, GA; May 6-8, 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance Custom Tuning is coming to Atlanta, May 6-8, 2019!

- 1998-2016 GM Vehicles
- Atlanta, GA
- $100 deposit, $250 balance at time of tune (total $350)
- Discounts Available

For details, please see http://www.blackbearperformance.com/calendar.asp

Black Bear Performance is your premier GM V8 Car, Truck and SUV custom tuner with over 16,000 customers served.

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just received my time slot for next week... Very excited to say the least!

To keep from overwhelming Justin with questions during the tune, figured I'd ask them here and perhaps another newbie may be able to benefit from them as well.

• Can I receive more than one program stored in the AutoCal? Such as; one for sport, one for economy, and perhaps one for the zombie apocalypse?

• I've seen where the Tow/Haul button can be made to do extra special things, what's that all about?

• Way back in the day, I had a HyperTech programmer for an old Jeep Wranger. It had a program for each grade of gas. Are there any recommendation as to what octane fuel I should come filled up with, what gets the biggest bang for the buck? My Tahoe is a weekend vehicle, so... keeping it fed with 93 isn't that big of an issue should there be a pay off.

• Can you turn off the CanBUS system so that my LED turn indicators won't need resistors, those little bastards get HOT!

• I don't believe that my 2009 Tahoe LS 4.8L has Active Fuel Management (AFM) but, if it does, will disabling it require a new cam shaft or other valve train modifications?

• If I add an OEM option to my Tahoe that requires the dealer flash the "computer" in order to active it, like when I added OEM remote start, what steps would be involved in making that a smooth addition? I'm guessing (and "guessing" is very generous of a word here), pull the BBP program with the AutoCal, get the flash, save a copy of that, send both to you all, and get a modified BBP program to install?

Yeah, I know that's a lot... I just want to make sure to ask all the right questions in advance, and have a much information ready to roll as possible so that I don't go full blown ADHD on Justin and take up too much of his time when we go out for our tuning ride.

...again, very excited to say the least.

:)

Thank you for coming to Atlanta!!!

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
  • Can I receive more than one program stored in the AutoCal? Such as; one for sport, one for economy, and perhaps one for the zombie apocalypse?
  • I've seen where the Tow/Haul button can be made to do extra special things, what's that all about?
I'm wondering the same thing as well. I think that the tow/haul mode can be reprogrammed; if that's an option I'd like to take advantage of it and get a sport mode.
Can you turn off the CanBUS system so that my LED turn indicators won't need resistors, those little bastards get HOT!
I've asked them about this, they said they can't. Options are try to find a dealership that can reprogram them (Only dealership I know that does this in my area is Bradshaw Chevrolet in Greer, SC. $262 to have it done.), buy bulbs like these that don't require BCM reprogramming or resistors, or find a third party that will reprogram your BCM for you, like WAMS. You could also purchase a temporary pass for ACDelco's Tech II emulator and do it yourself, but you'd have to learn how to use the Tech II without screwing anything up, and you'd need an adapter for your OBDII port.

I have an order in for the bulbs I linked and I'll post an update as to whether or not they work on our trucks or not. If they don't, I'll return them and take my truck to the dealer to get reprogrammed, because WAMS hasn't replied to the email I sent them back in February.

Don't have an answer for the other questions.

OP
OP
BlackBearPerf

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received my time slot for next week... Very excited to say the least!

To keep from overwhelming Justin with questions during the tune, figured I'd ask them here and perhaps another newbie may be able to benefit from them as well.

• Can I receive more than one program stored in the AutoCal? Such as; one for sport, one for economy, and perhaps one for the zombie apocalypse? Everything you need will all be addressed on one tune, gains, tune changes, and so on. You will not have to change tunes on the fly. Once you program your tune file in you are good to go.

• I've seen where the Tow/Haul button can be made to do extra special things, what's that all about? On 4 speed vehicles only we are able to change the tow haul mode to a sport mode with more aggressive shift patterns. It's not recommended for towing.

• Way back in the day, I had a HyperTech programmer for an old Jeep Wranger. It had a program for each grade of gas. Are there any recommendation as to what octane fuel I should come filled up with, what gets the biggest bang for the buck? My Tahoe is a weekend vehicle, so... keeping it fed with 93 isn't that big of an issue should there be a pay off. As long as you are running 89 octane or higher that would be fine for your vehicle. It is a good idea to show up with the octane you would like to be tuned for. If you are purchasing the AutoCal with the in person tune we can provide separate octane tune files 89/87 and 91+.

• Can you turn off the CanBUS system so that my LED turn indicators won't need resistors, those little bastards get HOT! 09 L9H is correct we would not be able to do anything with that.

• I don't believe that my 2009 Tahoe LS 4.8L has Active Fuel Management (AFM) but, if it does, will disabling it require a new cam shaft or other valve train modifications? If you have AFM we can disable it, nothing else would be required on your end.

• If I add an OEM option to my Tahoe that requires the dealer flash the "computer" in order to active it, like when I added OEM remote start, what steps would be involved in making that a smooth addition? I'm guessing (and "guessing" is very generous of a word here), pull the BBP program with the AutoCal, get the flash, save a copy of that, send both to you all, and get a modified BBP program to install? Correct, anytime you have the vehicle software updated we will have you read out the tune files and email to us, and we will update the tune to include the vehicle update.

Yeah, I know that's a lot... I just want to make sure to ask all the right questions in advance, and have a much information ready to roll as possible so that I don't go full blown ADHD on Justin and take up too much of his time when we go out for our tuning ride.

...again, very excited to say the least.

:)

Thank you for coming to Atlanta!!!
The answers are red underlined here after your questions. Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter