Bizarre rear passenger window issue (I'll bet no one has had this happen) 2008 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gildan

Reaction score
The problem: The back passenger driver's side window goes up and down if you use the switch on driver's door. However, if you use the switch on the back passenger door, the window will go down, but not up. Upon further inspection, the window is loose in its stays, for lack of better words. That said, here is what happened just prior to this problem":

I'm driving down the road and hear this really loud pop, and I am not joking when I say it sounded like someone fired a .32 ACP about six inches from my head, and this sound is obviously related to the window issue. The glass isn't broken and otherwise seems to be in track on the regulator. But I have absolutely no idea what the gunshot sound was unless it was whatever adhesive they use to hold the the glass in the regulator mountings. Or, possibly whatever limit switch or linkage that tells the widow whether it is all the way up/down became detached? I've checked the switch on the rear passenger door and it is just fine. I suspect that this is purely a mechanical problem.

Anyone ever hear of this happening?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem: The back passenger driver's side window goes up and down if you use the switch on driver's door. However, if you use the switch on the back passenger door, the window will go down, but not up. Upon further inspection, the window is loose in its stays, for lack of better words. That said, here is what happened just prior to this problem":

I'm driving down the road and hear this really loud pop, and I am not joking when I say it sounded like someone fired a .32 ACP about six inches from my head, and this sound is obviously related to the window issue. The glass isn't broken and otherwise seems to be in track on the regulator. But I have absolutely no idea what the gunshot sound was unless it was whatever adhesive they use to hold the the glass in the regulator mountings. Or, possibly whatever limit switch or linkage that tells the widow whether it is all the way up/down became detached? I've checked the switch on the rear passenger door and it is just fine. I suspect that this is purely a mechanical problem.

if the drivers switch makes it go up and down and the door switch does not make it go up, then the door switch must be defective, did you verify the door switch operation with a meter? or just it "feel's" ok?

OP
OP
G

Gildan

Reaction score
if the drivers switch makes it go up and down and the door switch does not make it go up, then the door switch must be defective, did you verify the door switch operation with a meter? or just it "feel's" ok?
I verified it with a multi-tester.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I verified it with a multi-tester.
ok, what did you test exactly
just the switch?
or did you verify it has both up/down signal at the motor from the switch?
one or the other has to be bad otherwise it would work, unless the drivers switch has the lock engaged which would make it not work at all.
has to be a break somewhere, bad ground or something

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, you have two separate problems. Very common for the rear door window switches to fail in that exact way. In my 2007, the pax rear would go down but not up with the window switch but worked fine from the drivers door switches. So I’d start there and then investigate the loose window as a separate problem.

OP
OP
G

Gildan

Reaction score
I figured this one out. It was actually a bad connection on one of the wires to the back door switch. Oddly enough, the sloppiness of the window disappeared after I fixed the damage wire connection. And, of course, after I bought a new window regulator. Naturally.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Best, worst case scenario. The kind that makes you smile because it’s still a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas