Binding in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
I got my 2005 tahoe yesterday to back it out of the yard and it wouldn't in reverse. It's acting like the rear end is binding for some reason. Has anyone experienced this before ? The day before i heard something that sounded like a rock in the rear brake caliper area scrubbing. When I went into reverse it acted as if it didn't want to move but then it did. The trans is fairly new rebuild with less than 12K miles on it. I'm thinking the rear diff may be binding for some reason. Has anyone else had this issue before ?

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
On the 2nd day it hops and will move maybe 3-5 feet in reverse and binds/locks up again. I haven't been rough on it and rarely drive it much in the past 6-9 months. Rarely tow anything and if I do it's a small 4wheeler trailer with a smallish 4 wheeler on it for hunting.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
if your lucky a caliper bolt fell out and its hitting the wheel. if they are tight the rear sounds like its quit life.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for is something is holding the brake, however when it is in forward gear it moves freely. My hope is the rear end hasn't eaten a grenade for no apparent reason while sitting motionless for weeks on end

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Put the rear of the truck up on jack stands, take both rear tires off, and engage the reverse. You should be able to better zero in on the source of your issue by following the noise.
Done that this afternoon, saw the culprit before I ever got the wheel and tire off. I lost the lower caliper bracket bolt, and I'm purely guessing but the torque of the rear-end going put the bracket into a bind against the brake disc causing the inability to spin properly. Looked up the bolts on rockauto.com and (2) replacement bolts are $8. Called local and they're $14 for (2). Rockauto.com for the wait and the win it is. Not my daily driver so I'll leave it on the jack stand until the bolts come in this week.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting your solution to your issue. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Please add the word "FIXED" to your thread's title, to let others who are experiencing a similar issue know that this thread has an identified solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667