Bilstein 4600 raised the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
a6f65f7d8c0c102895cb44c2bd905c4b.jpg

2012 LTZ w Auto Level Control and Autoride
121k miles

I had notices the ride had become increasingly firmer to the point of the the vehicle and interior rattling when going over sewer covers and pavement cracks. I thought the shocks were worn so I decided to change them.

I installed Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts a week ago and now the front end seems to be higher than it was with the stock suspension. I did not take measurements before the installation but I did measure afterwards. The front is measuring 37.5in and the rear is 37in.

The rattling has not improved but I have noticed a big improvement in ride quality after a few days

I wasn’t expecting this to happen and I was pretty certain these are not adjustable. My mechanic believes they are adjustable after he spoke to another customer that is installing the same shocks on a Silverado. He is going to call me after they install them this week.

Do I need new rear springs? I was planning on a 2/3 drop soon.

Here is a picture of the front driver side
82e34a9dc75451c4bb650531ff7a73b3.jpg

0ab240bb9eadc45c23ecae2a46d6f629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t researched it extensively but I thought of you were going away from mag ride the springs and upper strut mounts needed to be changed also. The upper mount does have different part numbers for with and without mag/auto ride.

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t researched it extensively but I thought of you were going away from mag ride the springs and upper strut mounts needed to be changed also. The upper mount does have different part numbers for with and without mag/auto ride.
Is there someone than can confirm this?

curtis ronci

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when you do the drop you will get new springs and upper strut mounts any way.Sometimes if the rattles are more of a whole vehicle shudder look at mounts.Body tranny engine mounts make a huge difference in ride and are always overlooked.They to are wearable parts that are just hard rubber.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best front drop is the drop knuckle and even if he did use drop springs instead it wouldn’t come with new upper mounts but that would be the time to install them. I wouldn’t use springs though, use the drop knuckle so all the geometry is maintained and it’ll drive just like stock.

If I’m not mistaken these shocks are adjustable with collars under the lower spring perch? We’re any of those installed? The more I look at the picture is sure looks like the lower perch is pretty high and the control arms aren’t parallel to the ground like they are at stock height.

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I mentioned to the mechanic that they may have put the spring perch on the highest setting. But I don’t remember these shocks being adjustable which is why I am confused.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was mixed up with the 5100. The web site says the 4600 is for stock height. The only thing that makes sense is the mag ride spring and/or strut mount is different.

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can someone who has installed these struts explain how they installed them? Are there any specifics or extra parts that i am missing?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It sure looks to me like there are spacer rings installed on the struts.

If you look at the picture you posted you can see what looks like a chrome ring sticking out the bottom of the spring cup (red arrow).

The spring cup sits down over that and it ends up there where I drew the red line.

rps20200817_222753_440.jpg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing at frist but Bilstein's web site says these aren't adjustable like the 5100 so unless it came with an "accessory kit" for the 5100 by accident I'm not sure most shops would just have those laying around. I meant to ask you to measure the length from the bottom of the spring seat to the bottom of the tube and forgot all about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts