Better Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04hoho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I did some reading about using hydro boost on the 800 platform and getting 900 calipers and rotors. Well I went an looked at my ** and it's already got the hydro boost installed (04 Z71 with tow package assuming that's why it's already got the HB) I'm running 18" five spoke rims from a 900 platform so I shouldn't have any figment issues when I go to the bigger calipers an rotors correct??? An whose got the best deal on SS lines???

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 inch wheels will clear the bigger rotors. I just did the swap a few months ago, I used R-1 concepts slotted and drilled rotors and couldn`t be happier with the results. I bought braided lines from R-1 as well but forgot what brand they are.

OP
OP
04hoho

04hoho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's the possibility that my Tahoe came with 2 piston brakes?? I've owned the truck since new and never had any brake work done to it.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up an 04 caliper online and it`s a two piston on your truck.

The 07+ calipers are two piston as well but a little bigger than your stock ones.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 inch wheels will clear the bigger rotors.

If you upgrade make sure you check the spare. My Escalade came with 17s but the spare is a steel 16" wheel with a slightly bigger tire. Might be worth picking up a bigger spare on eBay if you upgrade the brakes. It wouldn't be fun to find out your spare doesn't fit anymore when you need it.

FreshLikeOprah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify for some of you. Because I see this ALOT. the 13in rotors came on 05+ Silverado/Sierra 1500s with drum rears. Its not just a GMT900 thing. SO, im not sure why everyone keeps talking, like its exclusive to the 900's. PLUS, this can help you save a lil Coin by going to a junk yard, because you will find more 800 trucks on the yard, then 900s.

I went to a junk yard, found a 05 Silverado. Walked out with Calipers and brackets for $30. Bought rotors and Pads. And saved some money. Now she stops beautiful. Cant wait to do Hydro next

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify for some of you. Because I see this ALOT. the 13in rotors came on 05+ Silverado/Sierra 1500s with drum rears. Its not just a GMT900 thing. SO, im not sure why everyone keeps talking, like its exclusive to the 900's. PLUS, this can help you save a lil Coin by going to a junk yard, because you will find more 800 trucks on the yard, then 900s.

I went to a junk yard, found a 05 Silverado. Walked out with Calipers and brackets for $30. Bought rotors and Pads. And saved some money. Now she stops beautiful. Cant wait to do Hydro next

I completely forgot about the ones w/ drum rears being the same fronts.

to add to that:

Starting in 2005, 1/2 ton gm trucks received REAR drum brakes and larger front rotors. The larger front brakes required a change to 17" wheels for clearance. The 05-07 classic bodystyle brakes are the same as the new body 2007-2011.

But my Tahoe is a 04.

This kind of lost me. What Fresh is saying is that you could go to a salvage yard and look for a 05 up silverado truck with drum brakes in the rear and get the front calipers and rotors (if good) and be in the swap for a cheaper price possibly.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now that is good to know!

Cash_88

Reaction score
There is a guy here on the forum that discusses it in detail.

His name is "Joe1129uscg" and the link to the thread is here:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19468

He goes into detail with part #s and pics to get you going in the right direction. He also has a sticky that he wrote on a seperate forum:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=28846

Definitely a good read.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Me personally after reading the info I came across a full kit by the axel on RockAuto.com made by Power Stop. It comes with red powder coated dual piston calibers/brackets, the larger (13 inch) rotors drilled and slotted, and pads and miscellaneous hardware. The NNBS front axel kit (I searched a '07 Tahoe) ill use for the front and the stock kit for the NBS ill use for the rear (13 inch stock) so its all matching.

I prefer "all new" and its even better since each axel kit comes with a 3 year/36k mile warranty when installed as a kit

The salvage yard would definitely be cheaper, just grab new rotors and your favorite pads. Lots of people here prefer Hawk brand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
513Tahoe