Best weld in muffler for 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoganator

Reaction score
I just got done cutting the resonator off my 2007 5.3 and it woke it up just a bit, but I want more. I was thinking about trying out a muffler delete to wake her up more but I want to avoid major droning issues.

Can anyone that's done a muffler/resonator delete chime in on drone or any other issues?

What's the majority consensus on the best weld in muffler to the stock piping for better sound but less drone?

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black widow muffler is great. Sounds better in person since this was recorded on my old s4 phone haha. Really little to no drone depending on how sounds hit each persons ears. Ive gone back to just a factory muffler and no res. (Guess im old now haha) theres also a big thread on this muffler somewhere

OP
OP
Hoganator

Hoganator

Reaction score
Black widow muffler is great. Sounds better in person since this was recorded on my old s4 phone haha. Really little to no drone depending on how sounds hit each persons ears. Ive gone back to just a factory muffler and no res. (Guess im old now haha) theres also a big thread on this muffler somewhere

That sounds really good, appreciate it!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not like a real aggressive sound for my daily driver. I like that 50 series because it has just the right sound and amount of rumble that sounds so good, to me anyways.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I basically just straight piped ours. Will be changing it up in the future.
Had replaced the oem muffler with a cherry bomb m80. Sounds good, just a bit of drone. Then gutted the cats, as with having 200k miles, figured they were getting clogged. (Especially since it was burning and leaking oil. Oddly enough, no more oil smoke after changing the rear main seal) But now there's more drone. Lol Planning on new cats, possibly "high flow." And either a aeroturbine, spintech, or a paradox muffler. Maybe a wutang whirly boy, who knows. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't be happier with my experience with the Xlerator series from AP Exhaust. They're basically Magnaflow clones at a fraction of the price. I have the XS1259, which is the Magnaflow 12259 copy. Nearly stock sound levels inside at normal cruising but a healthy meaty growl when ******* the throttle, but it's still nothing you have to raise your voice over to talk. Outside is a whole different story. It was around $50ish last I checked on Amazon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas