Best way to get these off and cleaned up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat them up before pulling them off. A lot of times, the visor will still separate from the double-sided adhesive. But at least the adhesive strip will be heated and should come off much easier. Whatever residues are left behind can be rubbed off with the stripe off ("eraser") wheel and/or dissolved with any of the chemicals mentioned already. I use WD-40 since I always have it on hand. Bug and tar remover, Goo Gone and plenty others work great as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use piano wire but fishing line works. I use a heat gun for removing the shades and then WD-40 or an eraser wheel for the adhesive like others have said.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never know when you need to make a garrote I guess.

Well, I got a real one of those and suppose I could make another from picture hanging wire we have and being a former offshore fisherman with a huge tackle box, have plenty of leader wire to make a third if needs be! LOL

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity what do you hate about them so much to think the person that installed them is an idiot?

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate those deflectors on the front windows, they make so much noise. I have had a few cars with them and removed just the fronts, and leave the rears so I can crack my windows at work and not worry about rain getting in. They look like crapola IMHO.

Normally I just start pulling on them and it will leave the VHB tape behind, I normally get them off in one piece then throw them in my attic, and if the next owner wants them I just give them away with the car. Then I use a hair dryer (heat gun might be too much), the pad of my finger will usually roll it up too... PITA sometimes.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishing string mono or braided both work good. Same for emblem removal. And the eraser wheel like Tony posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep