Best way to create a two door Tahoe/Yukon with new components?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggasaki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to create a 2 door tahoe/yukon but in a more recent body style, with newer components/comfort. What is the best/easiest way to go about this?

Should I:

A. Buy a 99' Tahoe/Yukon - Swap out the engine for a 5.3L, upgrade with newer interior, backup camera, heated seats etc. Then do some body work to upgrade the grill and rear to look like a newer model.

OR

B. Buy a newer (around a 2012 model) and have a custom shop cut it down into a 2 door version?

I want a full size SUV, but do not need the length of a four door Tahoe or Suburban. A 99' Tahoe or Yukon would be perfect size, but I'd like today's comforts and to use it as a daily driver.

Are there any shops nationwide that specialize in doing A and/or B?

Ultimately, I want to end up with something like the below rendering, except with the 99 fender flares and in the color black.

f0958fd05a7923c2b90cba7d96112a1a.jpg

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think option A would be the better choice. Aside from the engine swap, the work would be more cosmetic. Chopping a full length SUV down seems like a lot more involved and likely much more expensive.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to create a 2 door tahoe/yukon but in a more recent body style, with newer components/comfort. What is the best/easiest way to go about this?

Should I:

A. Buy a 99' Tahoe/Yukon - Swap out the engine for a 5.3L, upgrade with newer interior, backup camera, heated seats etc. Then do some body work to upgrade the grill and rear to look like a newer model.

OR

B. Buy a newer (around a 2012 model) and have a custom shop cut it down into a 2 door version?

I want a full size SUV, but do not need the length of a four door Tahoe or Suburban. A 99' Tahoe or Yukon would be perfect size, but I'd like today's comforts and to use it as a daily driver.

Are there any shops nationwide that specialize in doing A and/or B?

Ultimately, I want to end up with something like the below rendering, except with the 99 fender flares and in the color black.

View attachment 266506

Option A is probably the best option. If you have the money anything is possible. Ekstensive Metal works out of Houston has done several 2dr Tahoes.

https://www.ekstensive.com/ekstensive-main-projects

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but I really like that two door, as rendered!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Whatever you decide I hope it does come close to the 2 door rendering you show. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

OP
OP
J

Jiggasaki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll call Ekstensive Metal Works this week and see what they would charge to convert a 99' body style into a 2012ish body style. If isnt cost prohibitive I plan to move forward and will definitely update these forums.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can solve almost any problem by throwing enough money at it. Start looking at the custom chopped car forums for suggestions on where to have it done. With so much Hot August Nights stuff happening in Reno, I bet there is a place in Sparks that is qualified to do this work. IMO you would be better off finding an older 2 door and doing a rest mod with a more modern drive train and the features you want but I do like the way you think, rendering is sharp.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll call Ekstensive Metal Works this week and see what they would charge to convert a 99' body style into a 2012ish body style. If isnt cost prohibitive I plan to move forward and will definitely update these forums.

Let us know what ekstensive says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods