Best MPG, AFM & Important Fuel information for GM engines..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get terrible gas mileage, it's because I have a heavy foot, I don't feel there is enough of a mileage difference in any brand of gasoline to justify paying more for a "name" brand so i usually stick to Arco or quick stop because of the lower price and if I am in the area I may fill up at costco, just doesn't make sense or (cents) to pay more or to drive out of my way to save .10 cents a gallon either, I use a arco business gas card so no extra .35 cent fee on every fillup or i will use gasbuddy for other stations and save .5 cents off a gallon which is only a dollar saving but still better than nothing, They tax us pretty good in Comifornia, I would say the gas here is easily a 1.00 more a gallon than national prices

If you calculated for cents per mile and reset your counter after every fill up, you would soon learn which fuel costs less to burn. It's often not the "cheapest".

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you calculated for cents per mile and reset your counter after every fill up, you would soon learn which fuel costs less to burn. It's often not the "cheapest".
I just don't see the "win" in paying .35 (or more) a gallon for the Chevron across the street adding $8.00 (or more) to a fill-up, am I really going to get 30+ more miles out of the same tank of gas?
I am not trying to argue or disagree with anyone I just don't feel like I am going to see that much of a difference, isn't there rules about gas being the same octane pretty much across the board no matter where it is purchased?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see the "win" in paying .35 (or more) a gallon for the Chevron across the street adding $8.00 (or more) to a fill-up, am I really going to get 30+ more miles out of the same tank of gas?
I am not trying to argue or disagree with anyone I just don't feel like I am going to see that much of a difference, isn't there rules about gas being the same octane pretty much across the board no matter where it is purchased?

Well, let's say you average 10 MPG on Miracle Mile Gas at $3.29 per gallon. That's a cost of thirty three cents a mile to drive. Now let's say you average 12 MPG on Chevron gas at $3.99 per gallon. That's still a cost of thirty three cents a mile to drive.

Around here Chevron delivers the very best MPG but they are quite proud of their fuel (it's usually the most expensive) and has become nearly as rare as hens teeth in my neighborhood; many of the stations have switched franchises.

Question, if you wait to fill up when your light first comes on, what is the average amount of fuel she'll take? For mine, it's about 24-26 gallons.

Oh, even if they are the same octane, the additives can really set one apart from another. That's been my experience way before this Top-Tier protocol was invented. However, those DI engines in the K2s don't seem to mind what you feed them as much, they do great on everything!

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, let's say you average 10 MPG on Miracle Mile Gas at $3.29 per gallon. That's a cost of thirty three cents a mile to drive. Now let's say you average 12 MPG on Chevron gas at $3.99 per gallon. That's still a cost of thirty three cents a mile to drive.

Around here Chevron delivers the very best MPG but they are quite proud of their fuel (it's usually the most expensive) and has become nearly as rare as hens teeth in my neighborhood; many of the stations have switched franchises.

Question, if you wait to fill up when your light first comes on, what is the average amount of fuel she'll take? For mine, it's about 25-26 gallons.

Oh, even if they are the same octane, the additives can really set one apart from another. That's been my experience way before this Top-Tier protocol was invented. However, those DI engines in the K2s don't seem to mind what you feed them as much, they do great on everything!
YA Usually around 22-25 depending on how long the light is on, like it has been the last 2 days, lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevron here is .38 cents more at the moment, that would have cost me an extra 9.93

View attachment 225707 View attachment 225708

I was using Gas Buddy and looking up stations in your city.

If we use your fuel prices and assume that Arco will deliver 10 MPG and Chevron 12 MPG, you'll still come out ahead with Chevron. You would save $8.85 to drive 300 miles on Chevron. In this example, the Arco costs thirty-seven cents a mile to burn versus thirty-four for Chevron. Chevron is cheaper IF you get better gas mileage out of it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using Gas Buddy and looking up stations in your city.

If we use your fuel prices and assume that Arco will deliver 10 MPG and Chevron 12 MPG, you'll still come out ahead with Chevron. You would save $8.85 to drive 300 miles on Chevron. In this example, the Arco costs thirty-seven cents a mile to burn versus thirty-four for Chevron. Chevron is cheaper IF you get better gas mileage out of it.
There’s no way I get an extra 2 mpg using top tier gas. The most I’ve seen is about 3/4 mpg between the cheapest premium (Leathers) and the top tier Chevron premium. From 10 to around 10.5-11 mpg on The Beast. The price for Leathers is 3.21 cash or card, while the cheapest Chevron is 3.48 cash plus they charge an extra .10 for the privilege of using a card. (What other retail group gets away with charging extra to use a debit or credit card ?) So the difference is .37 a gallon. If I use 20 gallons between fillips, Leathers gives me 200 miles for 64.20 or .321 per mile while Chevron gets me at most (11 mpg) 220 miles for 71.60 or .325 per mile. But in real world driving, I see practically the same mpg but a bigger hit when I fill up so I feel the Chevron costs me more per mile. And I go through a lot of gas so any savings feels good.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
There’s no way I get an extra 2 mpg using top tier gas. The most I’ve seen is about 3/4 mpg between the cheapest premium (Leathers) and the top tier Chevron premium. From 10 to around 10.5-11 mpg on The Beast. The price for Leathers is 3.21 cash or card, while the cheapest Chevron is 3.48 cash plus they charge an extra .10 for the privilege of using a card. (What other retail group gets away with charging extra to use a debit or credit card ?) So the difference is .37 a gallon. If I use 20 gallons between fillips, Leathers gives me 200 miles for 64.20 or .321 per mile while Chevron gets me at most (11 mpg) 220 miles for 71.60 or .325 per mile. But in real world driving, I see practically the same mpg but a bigger hit when I fill up so I feel the Chevron costs me more per mile. And I go through a lot of gas so any savings feels good.

Solid math. But I see AT LEAST 1 MPG, usually 2 less using shell instead of Mobil. I have not got the super cheapies (speedway or citgo around here).

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevron here is .38 cents more at the moment, that would have cost me an extra 9.93
Acro damaged my car Cost me $$$$$$ on repair Fuel made it's way into the Charcoal Canister (as well as a few other fails at the same time)
i don't think it was worth saving the few pennies.

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence all that *** failed at once after fuel got into the canister..

yes filling on almost empty tank I knew i had a issue when it stop at $2.25

so filled about 3/4th gallon into the canister

my repair bill came to about 700$

Save a few cents they said...

They use very fast pumps
a lot of the time you are returning fuel back to them for free if you live in California via the vacuum return line..

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acro damaged my car Cost me $$$$$$ on repair Fuel made it's way into the Charcoal Canister (as well as a few other fails at the same time)
i don't think it was worth saving the few pennies.

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence all that *** failed at once after fuel got into the canister..

yes filling on almost empty tank I knew i had a issue when it stop at $2.25

so filled about 3/4th gallon into the canister

my repair bill came to about 700$

Save a few cents they said...

They use very fast pumps
a lot of the time you are returning fuel back to them for free if you live in California via the vacuum return line..
Yaa.....I'm 100% sure it wasn't the brand of gasoline you bought that caused that problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas

Latest posts