Best Combination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 yukon and I'm looking to get the best engine performance out of it. I was planning to do exhaust work as well as an intake and a chip of some sort. I have read recently on another thread that true duals with 3 inch pipe is too much exhaust. Basically I would like to know what some of you others have done and if it is desirable or not.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
I would say get an eBay CAI (cold air intake) $80ish and an exhaust (I have a corsa and love it) also get a Black bear Tune and you will be happy with the results.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on how far you want to go. find a CAI first if you really want one. Then the exhuast..if you want full exhaust, go with some full length headers that have an offroad y pipe, which bolts up to the stock exhaust, then replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow or some other one. no need to run all new pipe. the 2.75" single pipe is plenty of flow.

if you dont want to go full headers etc, just get the stock muffler replaced with an aftermarket. You could do a full cat back like a corsa etc (same thing as replacing the muffler, but much more expensive..I spent 90 bucks for mine and that includes muffler and welding it in)

Then once you have these mods done, get a Blackbear tune and let him know what you have done..

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAI
LT headers and Black Bear tune
change muffler, unless you want to pay alot for true duals, keep pipe 2.5" maximum, or single 3" is fine, just replace muffler. If you have added larger tires, maybe look at gear change.
If you want, last resort, possibly change cam, and add at least a TB converter.

OP
OP
gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the quick responses. So basically I should get a cold air intake, a new muffler, and a black bear tune? Do the long tube headers work in combo with the new muffler, or is that only if I was going to do true duals? How much do the headers and the blackbear generally run?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
see vendor section on right, and click on Black Bear. There are seevral options on tune, so prices vary.
If you plan on LT, get small diameter, keep velocity up. Keep below 1 5/8" primary. LPP makes great LT, but they are bigger 1 3/4", so moves the power band up some. But get LT headers before tune, so Justin can do 02 delete if you can legally in your area. But if you don't want the investment on headers, get a CAI, and swap muffler for a good sounding aftermarket one, then get a BB 93 octane tune, with about 80% torque management removed. That'll wake it up, and help you out on mileage as well.

t_ahan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
power`

bbk 80mm tb, K&n intake, msd coils+wires, elec. fan, bbk direct fit headers, magnaflow cat back, diablo tune...with the brake and suspension work i have i feel good with my power right now but i plan on doin a cam and valveterrain, or ratio rockers...not sure yet cuz in feb the s/c will be bought....im also lookin for a pulley set that could free up alil more power...03 denali is what its all in

OP
OP
gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well I have very limited cash flow. So I am looking at a borla muffler, a new CAI, and A black bear custom tune. I am deciding to not replace any other exhaust components at this time because of money issues and it seems like my muffler is the most restrictive thing along with the stock air intake. Is that comb a good idea or should I do something completely different?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, your fine, do it in spurts. I did muffler first, just added a Flowmaster where stock was. Mine was 3" in and dual 2.5" out, simple weld in.
Then, CAI. AEM Brute Force is a good until. Then, later, do the tune from BB. Small steps eventually makes for leaps in changes from OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts