BB tune gains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tuning for higher octane means higher cylinder pressure which could impact long term reliability.

I saw no MPG improvement for any octane rating. Truck behaves much better thought.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cyclinder pressure is what makes power. The difference really is negligible.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the 91 Tune on my NBS and there is a big difference in responsiveness and fuel economy(when I drive nice-that is). And you really reap the rewards if you throw in non-ethanol premium(which is only found in certain parts of the state).

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J, what do you think of your BB tune. I know NNBS really benefits from a tune, what about our NBS trucks?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to no end but I'm looking into doing a blackbear tune and I was wondering what kinds of gains I could expect to see from a BB tune. I have a 2008 tahoe LTZ with the 5.3 flexfuel. It has 5.5" of lift on 275/65/R20s and I currently have everything stock besides a volant CAI and magnaflow muffler. Any one with any ideas of what I can look to see please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Driveability will be much improved. If you have not had your spedometer corrected, Justin can adjust for your tire size and you will notice an apparant increase in mpgs. With the increase in power and throttle response it will be hard to keep of the skinny pedal :flamingdevil:.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
J, what do you think of your BB tune. I know NNBS really benefits from a tune, what about our NBS trucks?

Well it woke up my 6-0 pretty nicely. I could easily tell the difference and so could a friend when he took it for a ride(he has a stock 04 Denali). I like the snappy skinny pedal but I also like the fuel economy too. With a tank of non-ethanol premium in it-I was getting a little over 22 mpg on the highway....
I think it is well worth it and it was a no brainer for me-I drove 1 1/2 hours to meet Justin and have the in-person tune done.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great improvement in drive ability and responsiveness. I did not see any fuel economy improvement after BB tune with the 91 tune. I found that the MPG's decreased slightly.

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cyclinder pressure is what makes power. The difference really is negligible.

I'm no gearhead, so what do I know? That being said, if the increased cylinder pressure was negligible, then so are the resultant horsepower gains. Further, we are talking slightly increased cylinder pressures for 150k+ miles. Even a 1% power increase seems like it could impact long term reliability.

Then again, maybe it does nothing. I'm just thinking via the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScoutMaps