Battery Draw Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting about 1-2 amps of draw on my battery when it has been shut off for a while. I tested every circuit in the main fuse box under the hood and with everything added up, I'm getting about 100 milliamps with 55 milliamps of this coming from the TBC which I know goes down a bit after the ignition has been shut off for an extended period of time. My alarm system, amp, stereo, and fog lights are not the source. However, I do have loads of wires covering up the fuse panel inside the truck so it could be one of those fuses. Any ideas here? If something is drawing that much power on the truck, and I test EVERY fuse, I should find it somewhere right? It's not like there's a stock circuit on this truck that just doesn't have a fuse. Any help would be appreciated. My battery is dead usually after a couple days, but today it barely started after not being ran for only 3 hours.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weak battery, old battery just not holding a charge anymore?

OP
OP
E

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is only a year or 2 old. And would a bad battery be drawing power for no reason?

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, i wouldnt expect the battery itself to be drawing power, but if it was old it wouldnt hold the charge and it would die, i'm not sure what to say about it but to look all around again, triple check everything

was there anything you put in recently, and then it started? i cant imagine that its something from the factory wiring unless a wire broke and is grounding out somewhere

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on a truck...ended up being a short or spmething in my alternator.

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm getting about 1-2 amps of draw on my battery when it has been shut off for a while. I tested every circuit in the main fuse box under the hood and with everything added up, I'm getting about 100 milliamps with 55 milliamps of this coming from the TBC which I know goes down a bit after the ignition has been shut off for an extended period of time. My alarm system, amp, stereo, and fog lights are not the source. However, I do have loads of wires covering up the fuse panel inside the truck so it could be one of those fuses. Any ideas here? If something is drawing that much power on the truck, and I test EVERY fuse, I should find it somewhere right? It's not like there's a stock circuit on this truck that just doesn't have a fuse. Any help would be appreciated. My battery is dead usually after a couple days, but today it barely started after not being ran for only 3 hours.

So you put an ammeter on the negative side of the battery and started pulling one fuse at a time, and nothing killed the draw?

OP
OP
E

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the ammeter in series with the negative battery cable, determined the total draw, reconnected the cable, and put the ammeter in place of each fuse to determine the draw from each circuit. No circuit was pulling more than 55 milliamps and the total I added up from the draws in the main fuse box was roughly 100-150 milliamps. No where near close the 1.2 amp total draw that I was getting. So you think a possible short in the alternator? I guess that's easy to test. Just disconnect the alternator and test the new draw right?

OP
OP
E

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the issue was coming from the Radio and TBC fuse. If one of them was removed, there was minimal draw. With them both in, the draw was constant. I have an aftermarket radio installed so I'm thinking that there's something going on there that is causing the body control module not to like it. Onstar no longer works which was expected with an aftermarket radio, but any ideas the exact issue with the aftermarket radio?

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Maybe the rear bass amplifier is wired on. I recall Circuit City had issue with it when they wired my head unit. I think they wired the amp's trigger line to the radios power antenna lead to get it working right.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the radio stay on? otherwise its possible that the ground is bad on it causing it to keep drawing power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts