battery disconnect/cut off switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laprodigy001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Has anyone on here ever used a battery disconect/cut off switch.how did it work.and if I connect one to my negative terminal will that kill the battery and everything electrical.so if I have a parasitic drain it won't kill my battery.or will there still be a draw if I leave the pos terminal connected.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
No parasitic drain if just the positive is connected but if you kill the primary power to the pcm it will do nothing but cause you grief constantly. Why do you need a cutoff switch tho?

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same question, my 2004 tahoe Z71 keeps killing my batteries (yes batteries) have a new one in there once again. Alternator good. Loses a few volts every night and a guy I was talking to recommended doing this. Few different shops have replaced or found different things to no avail. What will it do to the pcm or what other problems can I expect if I were to do this?

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same question, my 2004 tahoe Z71 keeps killing my batteries (yes batteries) have a new one in there once again. Alternator good. Loses a few volts every night and a guy I was talking to recommended doing this. Few different shops have replaced or found different things to no avail. What will it do to the pcm or what other problems can I expect if I were to do this

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not do a parasitic draw test?
Hi Fless, you responded to my other thread. I just got it out the shop for a parasitic draw test and was found that the instrument cluster was not going to sleep. That was resolved and was told to get a new battery as the cell was damaged. Shop assured there was no more parasitic draw

New battery put in and it’s still draining. Went from full charge to 12.3 volts overnight. When started it reads about 15 volts so this says the alternator is working I believe. On a different night last week dropped to even 11.9 volts. This truck is killing me.

I’ve had it in about 4 different shops. Was told to have “the big 3” wires checked and voltage drop test done on entire circuit by the audio shop that took out my remote start and touchscreen radio.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parasitic draw test measure amp draw on battery. Anything greater than 30 milliamp draw is NG. If they aren't using a bridge and a DVOM measuring amp draw they aren't doing a parasitic draw test.
Voltage drop test is something completely different. Do the Google and you will find info on how to do either test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10