Battery dies overnight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 Z71 parked last night, got in it to get lunch and the doors unlocked when I pushed the button on the handle but mirrors didn’t unfold and screens didn’t light up. The climat control knobs had the red/blue strips lit up but nothing else.

Checked battery and it was at 5V.

Charging now, hopefully it starts when it’s done.

What would cause this? The only thing I did differently was the OTA update one day last week?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just gonna have to keep checking it. You may have left something on. If it happens again and again, then you have a likely problem. Sucks to experience this when with a new rig.

OP
OP
C

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started but I have a check engine light… any way to read it on the dash without a scanner?

OP
OP
C

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a '22? Why not see the dealer?
Of course, but it was sunday, they were closed and the online appointment thing said the first available was on wednesday October 26th... i am having my 4th child on October 25th, so i was just looking for ways to keep it running reliably enough so i can get to work and do all the things until the baby comes.

I called around on monday and managed to find another dealership that had an appointment for tomorrow 10/19, so i will update with what they say.

I am also going to have them inspect the 3rd row seat belts (i got the seatbelt rivet recall notice in the mail) because i REALLY need my 3rd row with all these kids. Hopefully my rivets are fully formed.

Thanks to all for the help and advice!

TxSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Of course, but it was sunday, they were closed and the online appointment thing said the first available was on wednesday October 26th... i am having my 4th child on October 25th, so i was just looking for ways to keep it running reliably enough so i can get to work and do all the things until the baby comes.

I called around on monday and managed to find another dealership that had an appointment for tomorrow 10/19, so i will update with what they say.

I am also going to have them inspect the 3rd row seat belts (i got the seatbelt rivet recall notice in the mail) because i REALLY need my 3rd row with all these kids. Hopefully my rivets are fully formed.

Thanks to all for the help and advice!
Any updates on the battery issue? Our '22 Yukon XL just gave us a battery issue. It has been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks because we've been driving our other vehicle. Went to drive it yesterday and wouldn't start. It wasn't completely dead because a lot of the electronic systems came on, but not enough juice to crank the motor. I've never had a newer vehicle do this. I put it on the battery charger for about 30 mins and was able to start it. Drove it a bit, came home shut it down and restarted. Fired right up. Went out this morning and it won't start again. Charged the battery again and it has now started. Figure I need to drive it a good distance to get a good charge again and we'll see what happens. Was very surprised this happened at all though.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on the battery issue? Our '22 Yukon XL just gave us a battery issue. It has been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks because we've been driving our other vehicle. Went to drive it yesterday and wouldn't start. It wasn't completely dead because a lot of the electronic systems came on, but not enough juice to crank the motor. I've never had a newer vehicle do this. I put it on the battery charger for about 30 mins and was able to start it. Drove it a bit, came home shut it down and restarted. Fired right up. Went out this morning and it won't start again. Charged the battery again and it has now started. Figure I need to drive it a good distance to get a good charge again and we'll see what happens. Was very surprised this happened at all though.
Why not just leave the charger on it till its a full charge, and see how it goes.
Should not die from full charge to not enough guts to start in one overnight sit...if that is what is happening, you probably need a trip to the dealer.

shock

Reaction score
I think you just need to put it on the charger longer. Thirty minutes is probably way too short.

Does your charger indicate when the battery is fully charged? Does it go into float mode once charged?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65