Battery dead after a couple days...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 2004 Tahoe w/ 180,000 miles. I installed a new Interstate battery last year. There's been a couple times where the battery is completely dead after just a day or two of sitting. Zero volts on my charger, so dead the door locks won't even work. Just happed again after a two days sit.

When I hooked up the charger & turned it on, I heard a buzz down low on the driver's side, just behind the radiator, that only lasted a second or two. Not sure what that big plastic covered pot metal looking thing is, but could that be the problem? I did have a lot of squirrel crap in the big fuse box over the front left fender. That's clean now. The alternator is working fine, putting out 14+ volts to the battery.

Any ideas????

Thank you...

Jamo

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check that fuse box thoroughly, especially the connections on the underside. critter piss/crap is corrosive, not to mention gnawing on wires. i can imagine a current draw from a shorted terminal with that scenario

OP
OP
J

Jamo

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

I didn't think to pull the whole box out to check the back side. I'll do that once the rain stops.

What is that big pot metal looking blob behind the radiator that I mentioned above? I saw clips holding two halves together but was afraid to pop them. I had a mental image of springs, clips, and terminals falling out and into oblivion...

jfoj

Reaction score
Start with the OnStar unit as 1999hoe above said. I agree 100% this is likely to culprit.

Pull the Entertainment fuse, forget what number the fuse is, but I recall it is in the under hood fuse box.

OP
OP
J

Jamo

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I will try that. The rain has let up and maybe I'll get a chance to get out to play.

Still don't know what that big plastic covered pot metal looking box behind the radiator is. Drop me a hint??

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing that shit and I hit the domelight override button and its never been dead again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chead