Barn door alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked for a while both here, and on google as well and havent found an answer.
My 04 has barn doors in the rear. until about 2 days ago everything seemed to be fine. then i notice that the doors dont seem to close and seal correctly. i havent gotten any water, but i did notice that i had some road noise on the expressway from the rear. i looked at it and it appears the allignment of the doors has slipped. i can see where at the top middle seam, the gasket shows where the door had normally sealed, but the top doesnt seem to close tight enough. i loosened the bolts where the hinge meets the passenger side barn door, but there doesnt seem to be any adjustment in those. i havent had anything in the back that the door could have been closed on, so i dont see what could have bent. is there a possibility that the hinge pin or bushing could have given out?

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Is it possible that the gasket has slipped or is damaged? On my 2011, the rear door gaskets slip off once in a while, causing road noise. One of these days I'll throw some RTV on them and stop the problem. Same exact problem on my 08 Envoy.
If the gasket seems fine and the door seem truly off kilter a bit, look at the hinges. The hinge pin bushings could be worn out. While the doors are open, lift up on them and see if there's any excess movement. Bushings are cheap enough but it's a usually a two man job replacing them. The them doors are clumsy when off the truck.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think its the gasket, they seem secure. and it looks like the gap at the top is wider than at the bottom. something is out of alignment, i just need to figure out how it got that way, and how to get it back.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Just trying to eliminate the easiest first. Aside from any physical damage to the doors or having the body twisted from stupm jumping, it likely the hinge pin bushings.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to pull the taillight for a better look. truck hasnt been hit or anything, just seemed to happen out of nowhere. thanks for the insight

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this weekend i took some time to investigate more. pulled the taillight on the passenger side. i can get a good look at the hinges and pins. i pushed, pulled, twisted. i couldnt seem to find any play at all.
i kind of hung on the top of the door using my weight, seemed to close the gap a little. no water coming in during a carwash. but i have some road noise through the seam. its actually pretty aggravating.
does anyone know if i have any adjustment in the latches? either on the strike mounted on the drivers side door, or on the latch itself on the passenger side door?

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got back to this issue today, as the wind noise was driving me insane.
so it turns out the only place you have any adjustment at all is the 3 bolts that attach the hinge assembly to the door itself. mine didnt look to have slipped at all, but who knows. you can loosen them enough and have about 3/8" to 1/2" of play. i was able to get the door back in alignment where it compresses enough. now, my rear door doesnt lock and unlock with the fob, but thats an issue for another day.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so despite thinking i had the alignment of the doors all set, i was getting some wind noise at highway speeds. i took a closer look, and at the bottom of the drivers side barn door, looked like the door wasnt even contacting the weather stripping at about the mid point of the door. coincidentally, looked like the bottom latch wasnt catching all the way at times. i did the same adjustment as before , unbolted this time the bottom bolts on the drivers side door and adjusted it in. seems a tight fit now, no wind noise. and i aligned the passenger side a little better. that also set the contact pins back where they needed to be and the rear lock also functions as it should. I am pleased that all seems to be working normal. but im still not thrilled with the alignment. it appears the door is closer at the bottom than top on the middle seam. i will probably go back in and see if i can get it even.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, another update. at this point, its driving me a bit nuts. i got everything where it seemed to be correct, and now im getting wind/road noise again. i am going to push the drivers top out, and bottom in. it seems like the bottom latch isnt catching all the way. and from what i can tell, there is no real adjustment in the latches. im trying to hold off on just throwing weatherstripping at it, because it appears to be in good shape and its not cheap from lmc.
other sources for weatherstripping?

Moosemoon

Reaction score
ok, another update. at this point, its driving me a bit nuts. i got everything where it seemed to be correct, and now im getting wind/road noise again. i am going to push the drivers top out, and bottom in. it seems like the bottom latch isnt catching all the way. and from what i can tell, there is no real adjustment in the latches. im trying to hold off on just throwing weatherstripping at it, because it appears to be in good shape and its not cheap from lmc.
other sources for weatherstripping?
I know this is an older thread - but did you get it fixed? I have same problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz