banpass vs ported

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texaschevyryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a band pass and i have a ported box the ported sounds good but would that sould be even better in a banpass box jus wanna know

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
huh? are you asking which is better?
if its built right, the bandpass would sound better. it would play more frequencies in the spectrum, and give a cleaner bass as opposed to a more sloppy bass you get from a ported box.

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
banpass if the back of the speaker is packed with insulation and sealed. The front needs to have the correct size ports. You can expearement with different sizes of wood with holes. I have had several different boxes over the years Now if I was going to make one I would make banpass forsure.

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
sealed is just safe sound. A *correctly* built bandpass will blow away a sealed box.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bandpass enclosure will only allow the sub to reproduce efficiently within a certain frequency range (a certain band of frequencies to pass through the port), hence the term "bandpass". For the best accurate acoustical reproduction and power handling, a sealed enclosure is best because of the low group-delay/transient response. Biggest drawback is that subsonic/very low frequecy response is harder to achieve.
A ported enclosure can be tuned to the vehicle's transfer function to get the best possible spl. You can also get more extended low frequency response from a ported enclosure vs a sealed design.
A bandpass enclosure can be built for high efficiency to play a narrow frequency range, or it can be designed to play at a wider frequency range, but at the cost of efficiency. If not constructed properly with correct chamber volumes and port variables, in most cases it will sound much worse than a simple sealed box AND produce lower spl.
So when you ask what sounds better, it all depends on your intentions for your system. Do you want SPL, SQ, or a good medium? For SPL, a properly constructed bandpass enclosure tuned to the subs' Thiele-Small parameters might be best. A sealed enclosure is better for sound quality, and a tuned ported box will yield better spl than a sealed enclosure and a wider frequecy range than a bandpass.

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
A bandpass enclosure will only allow the sub to reproduce efficiently within a certain frequency range (a certain band of frequencies to pass through the port), hence the term "bandpass". For the best accurate acoustical reproduction and power handling, a sealed enclosure is best because of the low group-delay/transient response. Biggest drawback is that subsonic/very low frequecy response is harder to achieve.
A ported enclosure can be tuned to the vehicle's transfer function to get the best possible spl. You can also get more extended low frequency response from a ported enclosure vs a sealed design.
A bandpass enclosure can be built for high efficiency to play a narrow frequency range, or it can be designed to play at a wider frequency range, but at the cost of efficiency. If not constructed properly with correct chamber volumes and port variables, in most cases it will sound much worse than a simple sealed box AND produce lower spl.
So when you ask what sounds better, it all depends on your intentions for your system. Do you want SPL, SQ, or a good medium? For SPL, a properly constructed bandpass enclosure tuned to the subs' Thiele-Small parameters might be best. A sealed enclosure is better for sound quality, and a tuned ported box will yield better spl than a sealed enclosure and a wider frequecy range than a bandpass.

What did you do copy and paste that from your saved explanation list?...lol I was gonna be a little more brief but that sums it up.

STICKY THAT!:adminpower:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n