Bad squeaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I have a ‘17 Yukon XL with a 3.5” body lift with 33x12.5xR20 tires on it. About a week ago, driving down a 4 lane hwy (2 lanes, each direction), I was in the left lane when the vehicle beside me started to swerve left into my lane. I had no time to do anything but swerve to the left, to avoid impact. My left side tires went up and into the median at 60 mph, and I was able to ease back down onto the asphalt a few0B52ACB4-E1BE-4C30-A21B-6AA7F2379D26.jpegE8F1E179-0EE7-4593-AA1E-0BB738AED295.jpeg seconds later. Now, I have a god awful squeak in the left front, but can’t really see anything bent. It will make the noise with the truck off, jiggling the steering wheel, bouncing the left front, and of course whenever the truck is moving. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be? I have 7 kids and I’m on a budget so obviously want to fix it right but hopefully not spend a bunch of money replacing components that don’t really need replacing. Thanks y’all!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is where a Mechanic's Stethoscope can be of help. Get one. They are not expensive. Crawl under and listen with stethoscope while a beefy friend jounces the left front. You can pin point source and maybe, just maybe, a squirt of silicone lube can take noise away, unless it needs a part replaced. I would be looking at control arm bushings and sway bar bushings, frame and links and anything rubber. Does it drive normal with no vibes or pull?

20230218_151231.jpg

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is where a Mechanic's Stethoscope can be of help. Get one. They are not expensive. Crawl under and listen with stethoscope while a beefy friend jounces the left front. You can pin point source and maybe, just maybe, a squirt of silicone lube can take noise away, unless it needs a part replaced. I would be looking at control arm bushings and sway bar bushings, frame and links and anything rubber. Does it drive normal with no vibes or pull?

View attachment 394156
Yes, for the most part it does drive normal. I just replaced the upper control arms on both sides about 9 months ago. And the squeaking, while pretty loud and annoying, will stop for a very short period and then start again. This has happened prob 2-3 times

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before the incident, did it drive, "for the most part normal" or is this "for the most part normal" since the incident? I know the noise is since the incident but it would help to know the driving/handling aspects for the vehicle, before and after incident. Is the steering wheel straight and was it straight before the incident? When you did the upper control arms, were any other parts replaced at the same time? Replaced after the arms and before the incident?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the hub on the side that hit the curb. You might have bent something causing the bearings to squeel. Jack that side tire up and see if there is and vertical or horizontal play.

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before the incident, did it drive, "for the most part normal" or is this "for the most part normal" since the incident? I know the noise is since the incident but it would help to know the driving/handling aspects for the vehicle, before and after incident. Is the steering wheel straight and was it straight before the incident? When you did the upper control arms, were any other parts replaced at the same time? Replaced after the arms and before the incident?
Yes, it drives the same as it did before the incident, my apologies. I should have just said that. The steering wheel is straight, it doesn’t pull to either side, and when the upper control arms were done, no other components were replaced. The only other thing done when I replaced the upper control arms was an alignment. This was in May of last year. Since then, it’s only been oil changes and new brake pads on all 4 wheels. No work has been done since the incident

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, I still stand behind my recommendation of the stethoscope or take to a shop and have diagnosed while on a drive on rack.

OP
OP
Datruckdriver

Datruckdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is a good idea, especially since my oldest four are ages 24, 22, almost 21 and 18. Then with twin 9 year olds and an 8 year old, they’ll definitely have some weight to bounce around. I just hope I don’t need a new interior and struts when I’m done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17