Bad idle after big 3 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carcrazy267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the big 3 upgrade on my 2002 Tahoe z71. After the install my truck idles around 500 rpms. The idle is very rough not very smooth. Any ideas? It smooths out with acceleration. Bad alternator?

mmeachem

Reaction score
Maybe a dirty throttle body

And what "big 3" are you talking about

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably your computer recalibrating itself since you unplugged the battery!! Should smooth out the more you drive it!

OP
OP
C

carcrazy267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The big 3 where you add 0 gauge wire to the alternator to battery wire, chassis to block wire, and chassis to negative wire. I have put 100 miles on it since I installed it, it's still rough.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are adding these wires for better current flow? Make sure where you attached to the chassis that the connection is clean and tight. Our trucks seem to be prone to grounding issues. Bad grounds cause weird things. What's the wire made of? Solid copper or braided? Just curious since I have an electrical background.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a bad alternator is going to give you a rough idle.
I am not sure what you did with the wiring, but my first step would be to undo it or go back over your work very carefully. Double check the grounds with a voltmeter and make sure you have good continuity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove