Bad EVO...Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Ok Im on at least my 3rd in 2 or 3 years. Does anyone know what causes these to crap out? Ive been getting my replacement ones from NAPA. Any suggestions? Also how do you have yours setup? Indentation pointing down..etc? Thanks!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through three pretty quick and it has been ok for a while. No idea what would make them crap out so quickly.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why keep it?
Replace the fitting on the pump and hose from an older truck that didn't have it and be done with it. GM also sells a fitting and line adapter that allows you to keep the factory hose if you want. Part #19168825, pic is from fezmomasher on FSC

img072.jpg

OP
OP
fyremanpat

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Thats a good idea but where does it leave the steering? Tight or loose?

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will leave it predictable and not in another lane of traffic :D.

Seriously though I put a new steering box on mine from a 98 since it was the only one the parts store had available at the time and it has the same steering feel as the original 96 box without the EVO mess. If GM offers a solution that eliminates it that should tell you how well engineered they think the whole system is.

You might try cleaning the contacts on the sensor with contact cleaner, I've read where some have said this works till it starts acting up again. I'm guessing they get dirt and dust built up them and this wears out the contacts or messes with the resistance of them

OP
OP
fyremanpat

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
I ended up replacing the EVO again today and got to thinking...can the sensor in the steering pump go bad too? I got under the truck and started looking around and found the the sensor in the pump is kind of loose and had some play in it. Has anyone ever taken a look at or messed with theirs?...although doing away with it all together isnt out of question.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of them going bad but anything's possible. If it's loose it may be getting intermittent contact.

OP
OP
fyremanpat

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
well yea thats what I mean. where it goes loose then tightens up. thats from it losing contact..i was referring to the actual pump sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10