back up cam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it says to wire the cam into the reverse lights so when i put it in reverse it will turn on. my question is ....can i wire it to a switch with a fuse so i can turn it on anytime? and how big of a fuse do i need? its a 12 volt setup.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim i have no idea about the backup cameras, but chances are it's just for the relay i would imagine -- like a remote turn on lead. if so, the trigger power signal is usually very low. either way, if it's for the power to the cam, or the power to the relay, i wouldn't think either would use more than a 10A fuse, possibly a 5A. i'm sure someone that knows more will chime in. i'll look to see if i can find out more.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

some quickies

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newbie/82455-wiring-help-rearview-camera.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/head-units/403214-avh-p3100dvd-backup-camera-question.html

some also talked about putting a diode (like an electrical check valve) on the wiring so the reverse lights don't turn on with the switched power when you turn it on. keep us posted.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea u should be able to run a switch i got one also and was thinking the same thing with the switch, but i think im gonna run it to the reverse lights tho

OP
OP
MUDDER TRUCKER

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran the wires under the carpet to the councle and power wire to the cd player. it looks real good, every thing is hidden.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes you can run a switch to it and just put a 5 - 10amp fuse you will be fine i do it all the time for my customers that want the back up cam but they want it so they can turn on anytime...

dwillmont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wired my cam up with a diode camera comes on automatically when shifting to reverse but I can manually turn them on with a switch but not have to worry bout turning on my b/u lights.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running the R-Cam to a Kenwood unit you there is a button that gives you that option with no additional wiring needed. As said, a switch will be fine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84