Audio overhaul 02 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GJones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m gonna redo all the speakers cause they sound like wet farts. I’ll try to keep this simple.

1. Has anyone had any luck with the eBay/Amazon prebuilt sub boxes that fit behind the 3rd row?

2. I’ve been looking and haven’t found a clear answer. Can I completely bypass using a harness (outside of the obvious remote and things) and just run RCAs for everything?

3. I planned on using the rear sub box for when I have to take my main subs out. Is it too OD basically running it all at the same time?

Basic idea: 5 ch amp (doors/rear panel sub), mono amp (3-10s in a box)

ALSO: NON BOSE SETUP!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
confused,,,, what main subs? sounds like you already have some kind of aftermarket system installed?
best line of approach is to use the existing stock speaker wiring for your door speakers (just change the speakers to better ones)
then run your amp input wires (usually rcs'a) from the rear of the head unit to your aftermarket amp which is usually placed under the drivers rear seat
then run the amp output wires back to the junction behind the headunit to feed the speakers.
then run a separate wire to the rear for your intended subwoofer.
power wire for your amp is usually ran thru the drivers side firewall where the main vehicle harness passes thru.
**pro tip though be sure to use shielded rca wires and run them on the right side of the vehicle and run the power wire separate on the left side of the vehicle otherwise you will pick up electrical whine noise. at any rate keep the power wire and rca's separated.

OP
OP
GJones

GJones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
confused,,,, what main subs? sounds like you already have some kind of aftermarket system installed?
best line of approach is to use the existing stock speaker wiring for your door speakers (just change the speakers to better ones)
then run your amp input wires (usually rcs'a) from the rear of the head unit to your aftermarket amp which is usually placed under the drivers rear seat
then run the amp output wires back to the junction behind the headunit to feed the speakers.
then run a separate wire to the rear for your intended subwoofer.
power wire for your amp is usually ran thru the drivers side firewall where the main vehicle harness passes thru.
**pro tip though be sure to use shielded rca wires and run them on the right side of the vehicle and run the power wire separate on the left side of the vehicle otherwise you will pick up electrical whine noise. at any rate keep the power wire and rca's separated.
I don’t have anything aftermarket installed yet.
By main I meant the subs that would be on their own amp. Those being the more powerful ones and having the other rear panel sub there for when I don’t run the subs on the mono amp.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have anything aftermarket installed yet.
By main I meant the subs that would be on their own amp. Those being the more powerful ones and having the other rear panel sub there for when I don’t run the subs on the mono amp.
I'm sure if you poke around ebay or the internet you can get a custom box for the tahoe you just need to pick one that works for you, like one that may leave a little space for groceries versus one that will occupy the entire free space.

OP
OP
GJones

GJones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if you poke around ebay or the internet you can get a custom box for the tahoe you just need to pick one that works for you, like one that may leave a little space for groceries versus one that will occupy the entire free space.
I’ve been eyeing them on eBay. Just couldn’t pull the trigger. the info is super basic and no real world photos

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been eyeing them on eBay. Just couldn’t pull the trigger. the info is super basic and no real world photos
Ya that's part of the problem, a good local shop can build you a box but sometimes it's pricey being these vehicles are now hitting 20 years old it's not a current model and something they would normally have sitting in stock ready to install versus a place that just builds boxes all the time per order and they already have a basic design that is popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10