Attempt To Silence TPMS Complaints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
This is not my original idea, just my implementation of something I picked up browsing corvette stuff online. My TPMS sensors will not fit my wheel tire combination, so this is my attempt at disabling the alerts from TPMS. I put three of the sensors inside a pvc container:

20140121_160707.jpg

Then I installed the fourth in the screw-on lid:

20140121_160719.jpg

20140121_160952.jpg

Then I screwed the top on. I had hoped to use the lid to easily gain access to the sensors if I needed. Unfortunately, I had to seal the lid with the pvc cement so that it would hold air:

20140121_175649.jpg

Then I filled up the pvc container and programmed the sensors within it like you would the normally:

20140121_175412.jpg

20140121_175422.jpg

All four of the sensors were picked up when I programmed them. I then threw the pvc container in the back of the Tahoe where it was out of the way but the signals from the sensors could still be picked up. Unfortunately, after a couple drives I still get this error on the dash every time I start the truck:

20140122_210518.jpg

I can't figure out why I'm getting this error even though the programming seemed to work. Does anyone know of a way to find out what's going on or a way to permanently disable TPMS?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, you made a compressed air bomb.
Sorry, I would deal with the error instead of driving around with that in my vehicle.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out why I'm getting this error even though the programming seemed to work. Does anyone know of a way to find out what's going on or a way to permanently disable TPMS?

It is illegal to disable them, as they are a safety feature like your airbags are.

rocky20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think they time out and turn off after a while.Tire rotatiin turns them back on again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to program them each individually. From you set up there I don't see how you would have done that. I would make a new one with the sensors individually mounted on the side of the tube. That way you can program each one....

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is illegal to disable them, as they are a safety feature like your airbags are.

not sure if srs....telling you what your air pressure is at on your DIC is a safety feature and is illegal to disable? really? I can maybe be persuaded into the "safety feature" aspect although I've always felt it to be unnecessary except for the completely oblivious person. Personally, I hate the sensors and find them pointless but then again I'm the type of person who does a visual inspection each time I walk up on and walk away from my vehicle. I don't need another thing dinging at me for something I can take care of myself and I definitely don't need another "feature" that'll go bad after X amount of time. With that said, I doubt it's illegal to disable the feature. Extremely difficult? Absolutely! :D

Back to the OP's creation....that seems less than safe for sure theyareontome.gif

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same message because i ditched the pointless sensors when i changed wheels. It very easy to hit a button on the steering wheel and the message disappears.

Like 07burb i`m always visually checking things out every time i approach my vehicle. I even notice my coworkers tires that need air when i`m walking in to work and let them know about it. They always ask why the hell i notice these things. I`m a car guy, It`s my job.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if srs....telling you what your air pressure is at on your DIC is a safety feature and is illegal to disable? really? I can maybe be persuaded into the "safety feature" aspect although I've always felt it to be unnecessary except for the completely oblivious person. Personally, I hate the sensors and find them pointless but then again I'm the type of person who does a visual inspection each time I walk up on and walk away from my vehicle. I don't need another thing dinging at me for something I can take care of myself and I definitely don't need another "feature" that'll go bad after X amount of time. With that said, I doubt it's illegal to disable the feature. Extremely difficult? Absolutely! :D

Back to the OP's creation....that seems less than safe for sure theyareontome.gif

He's correct in a sense. It's a safety feature that the Feds say you gotta have. Like seatbelts and soon to be backup sensors.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I think they time out and turn off after a while.Tire rotatiin turns them back on again.

This would explain them working initially. Meh. Back to the drawing board.

You have to program them each individually. From you set up there I don't see how you would have done that. I would make a new one with the sensors individually mounted on the side of the tube. That way you can program each one....

You have a point, but believe it or not, this isn't an issue. I pressurize the container at 30psi, then start the programming process on my Tahoe, then let air out of the container slowly. The TPMS computer picks up all four sensors because all four see the change in pressure as I slowly bleed it off. I had to test this a couple times to be sure, but in programming mode the horn signals four times - one for each of the sensors.

Awesome, you made a compressed air bomb.

I appreciate your concern, but 30psi is not nearly enough to be a bomb. Besides, it's wedged between cargo far in the back of the Tahoe, so it's far enough away from the soft and squishy parts of the driver and passengers. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076