Are there good HID lamp assemblies for Yukon XL Denali ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, our headlight assemblies provide so so lighting even with Silverstars. Has anyone found a GOOD quality HID lamp assy without disassembling the OEM assembly? Had the same issue with my Silverado HD....

Some of the assemblies are junk....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, our headlight assemblies provide so so lighting even with Silverstars. Has anyone found a GOOD quality HID lamp assy without disassembling the OEM assembly? Had the same issue with my Silverado HD....

Some of the assemblies are junk....
Aren’t those reflectors or are they projectors? HID are dangerous to oncoming drivers and don’t work well in reflectors.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the yukon's use a bi-xenon the bulb is a combo hi/lo beam and the low beam is also the DRL during the day, I just use 55w hid ballast's and a 8000k low beam only h13, with a 55w ballast the light output is pretty good, I also use LED fog's not just a bulb but a 6 led hockey puck. the fog led's I use are a spot light configuration so they actually work pretty fair as a high beam. works for me I cant bring myself to chop up a oem housing to retrofit some projectors that I might not be happy with.

OP
OP
avalonandl

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the yukon's use a bi-xenon the bulb is a combo hi/lo beam and the low beam is also the DRL during the day, I just use 55w hid ballast's and a 8000k low beam only h13, with a 55w ballast the light output is pretty good, I also use LED fog's not just a bulb but a 6 led hockey puck. the fog led's I use are a spot light configuration so they actually work pretty fair as a high beam. works for me I cant bring myself to chop up a oem housing to retrofit some projectors that I might not be happy with.

I will not chop up my OEM housings, I am just trying to figure out a better lighting situation. Did you use DDM Tuning ballasts? Did you need error correctors?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will not chop up my OEM housings, I am just trying to figure out a better lighting situation. Did you use DDM Tuning ballasts? Did you need error correctors?
you will want to 2 of these relays (or any waterproof ones), one for each headlight, the trick to getting HID's to work good is proper wiring, run power directly from the battery to each ballast, then run a ground to the frame for each ballast then use the low beam headlight positive as the trigger. this way there is no stress or draw on the factory harness and the ballast get full power and no you don't need any error correction or anti-flicker stuff, just use good wire and fuse each power lead near the battery. if you have a junk yard around you then you can probably find decent relays for cheap in the yard like hella or bosch but I would check to be sure there waterproof or sealed, I just say this because they are subject to getting wet when it rains unless you place them inside the engine compartment I put mine on the front behind the headlights
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Car-Relay-40A-4Pin-Automotive-Fuse-Relay-Normally-Open-DC-12V/282480450295?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

you don't have to use a "brand name" ballast to get the exact same result I would buy something like this especially if this is your first go-around, if you really want some quality ballast I would probably go Morimoto but I don't see the need to spend the money when cheaper ones do the exact same thing. I don't think morimoto makes a h13 but you could adapt something to work.
I would select h13 -low beam only, because there is no "true" bi-xenon hid the best you can get for a dual beam with HID is a hid low beam and small xenon bulb for the highs, some are magnetic and change the bulb position to reflect the beam differently but still not a true dual beam.

bulb color is of course personal preference I prefer a 8k, you may want a 8k or 6k, 6k is more true white, I cant stand oem yellow anymore but if you like it then maybe go 5k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/55W-HID-Xe...hash=item51f94aa212:m:mTzZ772XnkCIpP2IVLQSgBA

lastly you may want to pick up a couple wiring kits
this one if you plan to use the dual beam
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-H13-90...895838?hash=item33ded5f49e:g:C~kAAOSwhGlbdIy-
maybe these if your going to just use low beam, might not need them though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Xenon-HID-Kit-Replacement-Bulb-Ballast-s-Extension-wires-Connectors-H11/371557853626?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item568292e9ba:m:myQH7o0CKrgilBMR7EYDC1Q&enc=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&checksum=37155785362698b6a08a751d42b4a7db2f60d1365076
then for ease of install I would grab a couple of these, almost all of the kits are made for a single relay, but I would recommend using one relay per headlight, so you could buy 2 of these and just take off the wires you don't need, they come with relays but I would swap them out for sealed/waterproof ones
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-...391440?hash=item4191f16850:g:qHEAAOSw8d9UriV5

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spectrum described below is more for a 55w system. Different for a 35w
bulb color is of course personal preference I prefer a 8k, you may want a 8k or 6k, 6k is more true white, I cant stand oem yellow anymore but if you like it then maybe go 5k

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spectrum described below is more for a 55w system. Different for a 35w
the HID bulbs work with both 35w or 55w any color, the extra 20w with the 55w ballast is what makes a noticeable light output difference

Last edited: