Apple Carplay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of a audiophile is she? If you mess up the balance, fade and what not does she fix it? I know for me it will stay that way until I drive it. Wally world has some cheap units.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
How much of a audiophile is she? If you mess up the balance, fade and what not does she fix it? I know for me it will stay that way until I drive it. Wally world has some cheap units.
Not really an audiophile. As long as it sounds clear it's fine for her.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With an Android phone, she will be using Android Auto, not Carplay, but they are similar. AA allows her (likely much more expensive and advanced) phone to do all the processing work so you wont have to update the HU. Several apps work well with AA: Spotify, Maps, Waze, YouTube Music, WeatherRadar and Audible are some useful ones. You can also do voice commands for phone calls or google searches. Most aftermarket HU have a really ****** NAV that you need to install an antenna for - AA uses the phone's Maps or Waze which blow away my factory NAV.

I really dig AA and I am not happy they are dropping it for their own fee based system (even though its google based as well). I'm paying enough already for my phone - it updates fine on its own, and GM will no doubt fuggit up for sure like the updates they have squanched for the Colorado and T1s. I would say it is a must have feature on any aftermarket HU I would put in...

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_2272.jpegApple CarPlay is awesome. Everything already said but also the voice interface is intuitive and reliable. If your GF is on the Apple infrastructure then it’s the way to go. But I think you say she’s on Android. In that case Sony is still a good option but it’s wired not wireless. Also, my recommendation is stay away from CD Player. Nobody wants to carry them around in a car. It makes the head unit a lot bigger with lot of moving parts. You won’t miss the CD player. At home - the sound is better than most streaming. But in a car the audio juice is not worth the squeeze.

I’m running wireless CarPlay thru Bluetooth (not Wi-Fi) in my 2001 Yukon on a $600 Sony head unit, but there are less expensive Sony options. I paid up for capacitive touchscreen. I’m running door speakers thru the OEM amp (which I find to be pretty good…) but I powered a new 8” sub thru a 1-Channel amp under the center console cup holder.

The user interface and features like PodCast, Waze Navigation, back-up camera and Messaging over audio are superb. The GUI in my 2001 Yukon is better than on our 2016 Acura. (Much better, but it’s not a high bar).

Nobody regrets CarPlay. I understand GM’s decision to move away from it on their future models but I think it’s a mistake. There’s Apple and then there’s Android and everybody else, right. Proprietary OEM phone integration software is going to be a challenge.

IMG_3786.jpegIMG_2267.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony, if your GF has an android phone, then Android Auto is the app that she'd use with the new head unit. Android Auto is installed (or nowadays, comes pre-installed) on the phone, and no other app installations are needed. As stated above, I'm a Kenwood person, as well, and that brand has always treated me well.

Go to Crutchfield.com to search for your new head unit. Even if you don't purchase from them, their technical assistance team is very knowledgeable and more than willing to assist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Tony, if your GF has an android phone, then Android Auto is the app that she'd use with the new head unit. Android Auto is installed (or nowadays, come pre-installed) on the phone, and no other app installations are needed. As stated above, I'm a Kenwood person, as well, and that brand has always treated me well.

Go to Crutchfield.com to search for your new head unit. Even if you don't purchase from them, their technical assistance team is very knowledgeable and more than willing to assist.
Good call about Crutchfield. I forgot about them. Thanks.

ccole

Reaction score
I see that this post is a couple weeks old but these Joying Radios are very impressive and Integrate very well with our trucks.

They are also built to fit our dash perfectly. I have chatted with numerous guys that run the Joying in their SQ competition vehicles with great results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts