Anyone Having Repeat Issues With A 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade After Replacement Of ALL Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I bought a 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L in January and started having what was later determined to be lifter issues between 4k-5k miles. I drove with the issue until around 6800 miles, because the dealer failed to identify it earlier (despite me bringing in videos on my phone that were pretty unmistakable). After 17 days in the shop, the dealer replaced both sides of lifters. Allegedly, there was no other damage to the engine when they tore it down to do the work. I am skeptical of this and the long-term durability of the engine. I have had my Tahoe back for a few weeks, and so far so good. However, that was the case for the first 4000-5000 miles. I find myself just waiting for the knocking to start again any minute. I don’t even listen to the radio on most drives so that I can hear the engine. I’ve only driven around town so far, putting only about 700 miles on it since the fix. No issues yet, but again pretty scarred/paranoid of repeat issues. I’m trying to get past this, because I love the Tahoe other than my fears around reliability. So here is my question: of those who have had the lifter issues, has anyone had any issues after BOTH sets of lifters were replaced? Much appreciated!

OP
OP
DangIt

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s pretty much spot on. No extended warranty secured yet. I have seen that some on here have been offered that. At the moment, though, GM has been ghosting me going on 3 weeks. That’s okay though….the documentation of their non-responsiveness builds….

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the extended warranties granted are transferable if they are it would help with the residual value. It might be time to escalate your demands.

HLAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I bought a 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L in January and started having what was later determined to be lifter issues between 4k-5k miles. I drove with the issue until around 6800 miles, because the dealer failed to identify it earlier (despite me bringing in videos on my phone that were pretty unmistakable). After 17 days in the shop, the dealer replaced both sides of lifters. Allegedly, there was no other damage to the engine when they tore it down to do the work. I am skeptical of this and the long-term durability of the engine. I have had my Tahoe back for a few weeks, and so far so good. However, that was the case for the first 4000-5000 miles. I find myself just waiting for the knocking to start again any minute. I don’t even listen to the radio on most drives so that I can hear the engine. I’ve only driven around town so far, putting only about 700 miles on it since the fix. No issues yet, but again pretty scarred/paranoid of repeat issues. I’m trying to get past this, because I love the Tahoe other than my fears around reliability. So here is my question: of those who have had the lifter issues, has anyone had any issues after BOTH sets of lifters were replaced? Much appreciated!
This is a known issue that GM is not in full disclosure mode on yet. If less than 10k miles you can get engine replaced for free. Suggest you go to a different dealer.

Amyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Hi Everyone,
We feel EXACTLYthe same. I just posted this-

Amyo

TYF Newbie​

So lifters we’re replaced (after a month at the dealership). It has only 6,000 miles. When we picked it up we noticed a rattling noise on a cold start. We returned it to dealer and now dealer says the camshaft has to be replaced. We are not car people and are relying on the expertise of others. I searched the forum and didn’t see this problem elsewhere. Are we the only ones? Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Reply
Report •••

Amyo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a known issue that GM is not in full disclosure mode on yet. If less than 10k miles you can get engine replaced for free. Suggest you go to a different dealer.
How does getting engine replaced work? What’s the process ? Do you ask the service guys at dealer or do you have to go to GM?

michome

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am fearful of this after reading many posts here. Correct me if Im wrong but this issue usually occurs in the first 6,000 miles? Im over 18k with no problems. But the repeat issues after replacing all the lifters doesnt make any sense.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fearful of this after reading many posts here. Correct me if Im wrong but this issue usually occurs in the first 6,000 miles? Im over 18k with no problems. But the repeat issues after replacing all the lifters doesnt make any sense.
From what I’ve been reading it’s between 4,000-8,000 usually but can be as high as 10,000.

One of the other posts talks about a TSB citing build dates of Sept 2020 to March 2021 could be affected.

Mine was built in March and I’ve got 4,000 miles on it so far…hope I continue to not have any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec