Anyone ever put in a hybrid engine in an 00 to 06 car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just painted stuff and a different radio.
Well, there's your problem. ;)

I have a 6.0L AWD and average 16 on the highway, 13 around town (all 35 mph or less), and 10mpg when towing my travel trailer. If you are seeing single digits regularly with a 5.3L, and don't have driving habits that would explain it, I agree it might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked at the screen on the dash it says my avg mpg is 12. sure feels like 7 or 8 though.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be getting more than that. I average 13.8 in the city with my 07 Yukon Denali 6.2 AWD. 20mpg highway. I would change intake gaskets ,knock sensors and do a tune up. O2 sensors too. Maybe look into your fuel injectors also

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^What he said about injectors. There are multiple youtube videos on cleaning your injectors. If they get clogged up, they spray like a spray bottle on stream instead of on mist.
The holes are very tiny and easily partially clogged over time affecting the ability to "atomize" which is a fancy word that isn't really accurate, but it does describe the kind of mist you are looking for.
If the spray pattern is too concentrated, you get incomplete combustion, sending unburned gas out the tail pipe. Over time, if that is your problem, you spend more in gas than what new injectors would cost. The ECU or ECM will hold the injectors open till you get the acceleration you are looking for.
For less than $100 you can have the truck checked at an independent shop to get some advice what is happening. I assume that you have good plugs and no miss-fires or clogged catalytic convertors.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be getting more than that. I average 13.8 in the city with my 07 Yukon Denali 6.2 AWD. 20mpg highway. I would change intake gaskets ,knock sensors and do a tune up. O2 sensors too. Maybe look into your fuel injectors also

^^^What he said about injectors. There are multiple youtube videos on cleaning your injectors. If they get clogged up, they spray like a spray bottle on stream instead of on mist.
The holes are very tiny and easily partially clogged over time affecting the ability to "atomize" which is a fancy word that isn't really accurate, but it does describe the kind of mist you are looking for.
If the spray pattern is too concentrated, you get incomplete combustion, sending unburned gas out the tail pipe. Over time, if that is your problem, you spend more in gas than what new injectors would cost. The ECU or ECM will hold the injectors open till you get the acceleration you are looking for.
For less than $100 you can have the truck checked at an independent shop to get some advice what is happening. I assume that you have good plugs and no miss-fires or clogged catalytic convertors.

i changed the 02 sensors maybe last year?. you guys think that MPG estimator on the truck screen is accurate? it says my avg is 12.4 mpg and alot of the times when it says 7 or 8 mpg when im driving. the instant mpg im talking about. it goes up when im going down hill. you guys think its the fuel injectors hmm? should i get it cleaned at a shop or just add a bunch of additives? i remember a diagnostic spot told me its 150 to get the fule injectors cleaned out with some machine. worth it? the in and out oil spot does it for 80 dollars for comparison in my area i assume its a machine but will call tuesday to find out exactly what it is. last year i had misfire codes p300 and a coil go out. i replaced the 02 sensors and the bad coil. when I got the car just over a year ago i got the tune up done. new spark plugs and wires. all ACdelco OEM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also would anyone link me to a good technique to clean the injectors on youtube that works better for our trucks? i see alot of different techniques on there.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bump. the thought of this not being normal is grinding my gears. need a solution asap. i assumed it was normal since its an SUV with AWD and older. you know, gas guzzler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts