Anyone else struggle with the A-pillar blind spot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Reaction score
My wife is short........4-10", and she's struggling with the blind spot on our new 22 Suburban LT. I drove across the state and picked this car up new, without having her drive it first (in hindsight, dumb) as she had driven multiple examples of both previous generations and not had any issues with them.

I'm 5-10" and don't have any issue at all - in fact, I love the car. But she says the passenger A-pillar + black triangle trim + the huuuuuuuge mirror (bec it has a camera on the end) makes an 18" long blind spot in her vision when trying to look out the passenger front corner.

Anybody else having issues with this?

....bummed.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there weren't any tahoes/suburbans on the lot to test drive when I ordered, kind of hard to know about that stuff when things were as they were at the time.

Sympathy, no solutions unfortunately.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2017 and 2008 versions. And I much prefer my 2008 over my wife's 2017. I like the truck, but find myself always having to double check when turning left onto a road. Drives me nuts. I guess the newer ones carried it over, or 'improved' on it more.

I totally understand the purpose of it and the newer vehicles have pretty cool crash crumple zones. There is a reason for it, but I feel your wife's frustration.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Too bad she can't raise her seat to get the mirrors out of the way and have the pedals come up to meet her feet. If you don't drive it, you could always modify the pedals for her.
I found a seller online (several, actually) that sell seat track lifters, whether it be a full steel spacer to put between the seat track and the floor, or just blocks that go between the track and the floor where the bolts are. I bought one of those kits, which includes 1.25” blocks and new longer high-strength bolts. I will experiment with it and see if I’m successfully able to raise the seat higher, and if it makes a difference for her!

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife is short........4-10", and she's struggling with the blind spot on our new 22 Suburban LT. I drove across the state and picked this car up new, without having her drive it first (in hindsight, dumb) as she had driven multiple examples of both previous generations and not had any issues with them.

I'm 5-10" and don't have any issue at all - in fact, I love the car. But she says the passenger A-pillar + black triangle trim + the huuuuuuuge mirror (bec it has a camera on the end) makes an 18" long blind spot in her vision when trying to look out the passenger front corner.

Anybody else having issues with this?

....bummed.
This is why manufacturers will eventually have to have some inventory on dealer lots despite the push to be "leaner".

As a consumer, are you going to order a vehicle that you can't test drive because of non-existent inventory or are you going to settle for the vehicle you can sit in/test drive because know it meets your needs?

"Better the devil you know".

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, an inventor made a clear 'wrap' on the inside of the right-hand window A-pillar.
A mini camera displayed the hidden space, "view" on the inside of the pillar. It looked like the pillar was not there, and you saw an unobstructed view when looking to the right.

I am 6'2" and catch myself leaning to see what is blocked.....in certain maneuvers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove