Anybody in the north treat for rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
We live in southern coastal Maine but we still get snow and they use a lot of salt on the roads.
We have a '16 Tahoe that we bought new in October '16 I run snows on it and after the first winter (the Tahoe was 6 months old!) when I was changing the snows, I noticed a LOT of surface rust on the frame. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it as it hadn't rusted through. I took it to a Ziebart dealer in Biddeford Maine and had them power wash it, spray it all with rust eliminator and then undercoat it. Cost was $700 but has been through a winter and a half since then and there is no sign of rust so I am pleased. (I also take it to a car wash at least weekly and have the bottom washed too. We have a great deal up here-unlimited car washes for $15/month!)

That's an awesome deal.

New place just popped up by work. Unlimited for $17/mo. Been seriously considering it.

14rcsbOH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your in the North, its better to just embrace it....

Reaction score
I treat my Yukon myself. Lots of salt on Michigan roads. I spray 5W20 motor oil everywhere I can get to on the underside, then drill all the doors and panels to spray oil into them. The wholes are then plugged with body plugs. Been doing all my cars for years that way. Still get surface rust on frame ans suspension parts but no other or serious rust. I use a low pressure high volume media blaster/sprayer from harbor freight. Then add an undercoating wand for going all the way inside doors and panels.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After this winter I will have to do some work on the undercarriage. IN the last year few years it started to get out of hand. Going to grab a wire brush to the frame and the use some rust inhibitor like naval jelly and then finish it off with something like eastwood encapsulator.

IMG_20190106_170212238.jpg

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After this winter I will have to do some work on the undercarriage. IN the last year few years it started to get out of hand. Going to grab a wire brush to the frame and the use some rust inhibitor like naval jelly and then finish it off with something like eastwood encapsulator.

View attachment 214155
Naval jelly is not an inhibitor, it's an acidic converter. Putting it on your frame and leaving it could cause more harm than good. Don't the instructions say to remove it after it has converted the rust?

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i was not going to leave it on. I would apply it let it soak for how ever long it needs to in order to convert the rust and then rinse it off. After that i would add the eastwood.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 214155
That's the typical NJ undercarriage right there.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i was not going to leave it on. I would apply it let it soak for how ever long it needs to in order to convert the rust and then rinse it off. After that i would add the eastwood.
Ah, ok, that makes sense...

A little too much effort for my liking but if you have the time go for it!!! IIRC, you can get the same active ingredient as naval jelly in a liquid form (forget what it's called) that will spray on, but the you have to clean really good because it gets down in crevices etc and that gets really hard to get it all out before it starts doing bad things...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt