Anybody in the north treat for rust?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by CountryBoy19, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM.

1. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    The rubberized undercoat on my '05 is peeling off. I know it's trapping moisture and garbage. I'm thinking about getting it up on a rack or something and getting the underside pressure-washed/steam-cleaned then treating with a wax/oil based rust preventer like Fluid Film's lanolin based undercoat.

Thoughts?

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Member

Name:
    Eric
    I use fluidfilm. Have a friend with a lift at his house, so it’s easy. I also spray the door/fender/hood area, take out the taillights, and spray all that down as well.
    Remove the plastic door sills, and spray inside the holes.
    Lower inner fenders hit. Too, just have to move that material that’s there out of the way. I try to soak as much as I can, get into as many small spots too.

3. S33k3r

S33k3r Full Access Member

Name:
    Will
    Does it help -- do you have rust?

4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Member

Name:
    Eric
    I bought it in August. It already has some surface rust, floors are great. Just some scale here and there.
    Trying to prevent as much as I can.

5. S33k3r

S33k3r Full Access Member

Name:
    Will
    Nah, it's cool. I wasn't questioning you. I've just lived in the South all my life, and I was curious as to whether the treatments really worked or not, and what level of success you achieved. I've also read that GM used some very rust-prone metal in the years of our vehicles, so I was fishing for anyone having real rust issues (I, too, have surface rust, but nothing serious; my truck came from Oregon).

Thanks!

6. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    IMHO, all of them (auto makers) use really rust prone metals... rust is the nature of living in the rust belt...

7. 89Suburban

89Suburban Full Access Member

Name:
    Paw Paw
    Once the roads dry off after a salty snowstorm I get my ass over to the car wash for an over & undercarriage wash. Keeping it clean is the best defense.

HiHoeSilver and Tonyrodz like this.
  8. MainahBob

MainahBob TYF Newbie

Name:
    Bobo
    We live in southern coastal Maine but we still get snow and they use a lot of salt on the roads.
    We have a '16 Tahoe that we bought new in October '16 I run snows on it and after the first winter (the Tahoe was 6 months old!) when I was changing the snows, I noticed a LOT of surface rust on the frame. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it as it hadn't rusted through. I took it to a Ziebart dealer in Biddeford Maine and had them power wash it, spray it all with rust eliminator and then undercoat it. Cost was $700 but has been through a winter and a half since then and there is no sign of rust so I am pleased. (I also take it to a car wash at least weekly and have the bottom washed too. We have a great deal up here-unlimited car washes for $15/month!)

89Suburban and Tonyrodz like this.
  9. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    That's an awesome deal.

89Suburban likes this.
  10. kf7grq

kf7grq TYF Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Bought my 03 Escalade in Vegas, and brought it up here to Western, PA two years ago. First act was to have a good coating of Fluid Film. No rust issues yet, but there are a few side effects to bare in mind. You will get a slight smell from it burning off the exhaust; brakes will fade slightly for the first mile, and the film will migrate up to the outside of the body for a while. These are not insurmountable problems, but Fluid Film does have its' share of side effects. My body shop charges $135.00 for the first application, and $117.00 every year there after. Wife's car was only $85.00.