Any how to's on removing/replacing 5.7 vortec Chevy tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
lees weight is good but make sure you still have strong mounting to lift it as lift brackets typically attach to the manifold in the instructions. with the heads off you will likely not be able to lift it out possibly unless you use the head bolt holes in the block that, if the wrong lift brackets are use, could be stressed and break.

don't remove all the crank bearings at once if you choose ti inspect it other wise the crank may suddenly fall on you if the rings are not what is jammed up. if it the crank mains that are jammed the crank/rods/pistons may sudden fall out all at once when the main caps are off. use some support if you decide to remove it while still in the vehicle. your issue may be fixable so inspect and picture what you can and see what is repairable/needs actual replacement.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your leaving the tc attached try to drop the trans out the bottom or try to slide it back. The shaft on the trans has some length to it so getting the engine to come out is going to be difficult.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't been working on the Tahoe because of work but i'm getting back started. Is is a good place to cut the exhaust? or anywhere behind the down-pipes will be ok? I'm not going to wrestle with the rusty bolts, i tried but no luck. So ill cut it

floater

Reaction score
I just did a re and re on my 98 and I took out the rad and the ac and alternator prior to removing engine. This gave me loads of room to climb in and get everything unhooked and strapped out of the way. Took two hours to get the six transmission to engine block bolts off but it is doable. Take loads of notes! Watch out for the distributor hitting the fire wall and breaking! Take it out first!

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I took a lot of pictures. Distributor is already out. My motor was seized and I finally got it to turn, so I could get torque converter bolts removed. I have to get the trans/engine bolts out and cut the exhaust and she's ready to come out.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not reusing the y cut up as high as you can get so your not fighting with something extra hanging down. If you want to try and save the y you might be able to hack off the bottom of the stock manifold. Once the engine is out it will give you plenty of room to cut the end of the studs off.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Sounds like you're leaving the transmission in place. Support it from underneath. If you plan to roll the truck forward or backward ever while the engine is out, your transmission support will have to be able to move with the truck.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ill try to cut exhaust close to manifold. I have a sawzall , I think my bro has a cut off tool.

Yeah I was able to get the tc bolts out so i'm leaving trans in place...

So I have to support the trans while removing the engine? I thought the trans had its own mount/support. But thanks because I definitely need a little space to roll the truck back some. and I hope I can rent the engine lift brackets to lift out the motor if not ill buy some.

I'm just glad i finally got the engine to rotate it was a Pain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA