Any how to's on removing/replacing 5.7 vortec Chevy tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Chevy tahoe 5.7 vortec I got from a friend. Motor is locked. He complained about low oil pressure and then ticking he added oil. A few blocks later while he was driving he said it just stopped.

I posted here in the 1999 forum because everyone always tells me to just tell people its a 1999.. Maybe because on 2000 the motor changed, and its less confusing since i have the 5.7 ?

I found a write up but I'm new to this car and motor so Iv watched videos but cant find the little answers I need.

1.Do I need to support the trans if I am just replacing motor?
2. Can I just remove the ps pump with bracket attached and sit it aside or do I have to remove lines an powersteering pump pulley?
3. Does fan assembly need to be removed
4. How will i disconnect the motor from torque converter are bolts accesbile without spinning fly wheel.
5. What points to attach chains to pull the motor

Sorry if these ques are silly or have been answered. I have removed a few fwd motors and trans but never a truck. I do have a nice write up if anyone is interested those are the things that stood out in the write up that I need clarification.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
complete how-to below. but if motor it locked and wasted try cranking with heavy duty long ratchet on the crank or remove the tranny with it and once out just remove tranny bolts and slide the tranny off the tc to get to its bolts but expect some reassembly and inspection and/or repair of tranny/converter mating to prevent later damage.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Complete how to below? I figured motor had to turn to get to converter bolts. But i will try a long ratchet and see if I can get it to turn

Can you clarify a bit about the mating surface of converter you mean slide the tranny off with the torque converter attached to motor, I got that part...

I have to check the mating surface because it will most likely be damaged from having to separate them?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sorry file did not upload on last post. normally you would turn the crank but if it is really jammed wrench it ******* the crank pulley nut and if still not good enough the separate the two with the tc hanging off the engine. once the tranny bell housing is out of the way you can get to all the tc bolts.

may be damaged. there is a bushing or two around the mating area as well as an oil seal on the pump body. you want to make sure they are in good condition before re-assembly.

Attachments

• gmt400 l31 replacement.pdf
    145.7 KB · Views: 232

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i literally just got done doing this. Removing the transmission with it would be a huge boon. Trying to mate the engine back to the transmission while its in the truck was a big hassle. If your set on not removing the transmission it will be fine leaving it in place. However tips for easier removal with the trans in place. Remove the engine mount center bolt and lift the engine and unbolt the mount brace off the engine. Then lower it back down so its about where it was sitting. Making sure the engine will spin is kind of critical as removing the engine with the tc attached to it will just give you headaches. So get the engine to spin so you can unbolt the tc from the flywheel. Then continue removing just the engine. However sunlit is kinda the goto chevy guru so unless there is some reason stopping you from following his suggestions. I would just do it his way.
I do stress tho if you do intend to leave the trans in the truck but you cant get the engine to rotate give up and either pull them together or drop the transmission first. You will bind the tc on the transmission shaft leaving the tc on the engine.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it may be possible to leave the tranny in place but any part mounted on the front of engine +plus the radiator and condenser may need to come out for clearance or it might get damage on a wrong move. method depends on the risk you are willing to take of breaking something.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys I am getting a better mental picture of how everything goes and the pro's and cons. I know what you mean about the tc binding or damaging the seal because how the weight would be placed on the trans and tc, if its still attached.

I don't think i am going to get this thing to turn, the socket on my ratchet is turning but not the crank, iv tried to turn it both ways.. So I see that I i will have to pull it as a combo or pull with tc attached to motor.

My next question is of course without knowing what is locked in the motor, piston rings, crank..maybe both.

This is a truck that I basically have a lot of time to tinker, I'm not in much of a hurry. I planned to take the motor apart eventually anyway.. would It make any since to tear into it while its in the car and possibly get the heads off? Maybe it'll turn then, if not it'll be a lot lighter and make less strain on the tc when the motor is pulled... Does that make since at all?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
heads have springs on the valve so that is likely not what is holding the engine still it would have to be rings or the main/rod bearings. you should know after removing the pan and and bearing caps. just don't take off all the mains at once unless motor is upside down.

OP
OP
C

chicagochuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's true not likely the springs and valves holding the motor up..

Yeah I'm going with a used block motor. I wouldn't quite trust myself rebuilding or fixing a motor internally yet. But would this make it easier to pull with tc attached because it would be lighter (once i tore into it?) Is this a descent idea?

I can get pan off. I just really don't want to mess with the trans or damage it as much as possible..I have very little time dealing with these big motors.. so I'm learning in the process.

you stated? dont take off all mains at once?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz