Any experience with Dorman oem replacement g69/z55 rear air shocks? I generally have great luck with Dorman brand, including their OEFix program....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if it's a repetitive question, but I've reviewed every threat I can find, lots of discussion about arnott oem replacements, none about the Dorman 949-052 shocks. Couple other questions:

1. Must they always be replaced as a pair, for handling reasons for safety reasons, or shouldn't they just naturally find their levels with one existing shock and one new shock? I totally get that if one is leaking, the other one is likely not far behind, but 06 has 170,000 Mi on it, which is not actually all that high.

2. O-rings and retainer clips on the air connection - nothing came with the shocks themselves, but I recall seeing a refit kit of retainer clips, and several DIY solutions for o-ring replacement. Bottom line is it has to seal the airline tightly into the new shock, or else it's just another leak, so looking for the best oem approach or DIY mouse trap, for a tight air line fit, into the new shock(s)?

Thanks for the help. Awesome forum for a guy with a 20-year-old, really nicely equipped and kept yxl.

Todd

OP
OP
T

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
PS I love Dorman's stated "OEFix" mission of repairing but also improving on some of the funky engineering mousetraps that the GM engineers originally came up with, to retain the Integrity of these older vehicles, without completely modding them out.

PPS Anyone happen to know the proper torque for shocks 21mm attach bolts and, for that matter, the wheel lugnuts. These service manuals spec-ing such cost a mint, even to download, so I'm trying to get by with just the owner's manual.

Meathead16

Reaction score
Dorman is hit or miss. Moreso miss than hit. I've used a few of their suspension and steering parts and found them to be adequate, but nothing spectacular.

FWIW, the Dorman 949-099 air compressor I used to replace my oem one has been flawless, albeit it's only been on for <1 year. The compressor came with new lines, clips, etc, and has a thermal cut off in the event of a leak so it doesn't burn up like the oem one does. Did you pull the fuse when you discovered your leak?

170k is decent mileage out of oem air shocks. Mine were already blown when I bought the truck so I'm not sure how long they lasted but from everything I've read they seem to go around 100-150k. Even though one is still good, the shock itself is still worn. The air bags main purpose is maintaining ride height under any load condition while the shock absorber is what provides a smooth ride. It may sound like "stealer-speak", but replace them both. In this case, the old, bad side really can bring down the new, good side.

Lugnuts: 140ft lbs
Shock Absorber Nuts: 70ft lbs (both upper and lower)

Check out this site. I've found it to be an invaluable resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts