Any concern with buying this first year redesign of the Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased an SLT Yukon the end of July and do have some concerns.
>First, I noticed a strong vibration that increased with speed. Had to schedule service within days of purchasing and a road force balance appears to have solved that.
>I also noticed several clicking/ticking sounds within the cabin. Most appear to be coming from headliner. Sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies above your head. You can press on the headliner and hear metal to plastic clicking noises. Very annoying while driving. (Pending service appointment.
>The front park assist keeps alerting false positives when backing up or while parked in traffic/lights. (Pending service appt)
>Android Auto will not work and USB chargers not working correctly. I've tried multiple cables and USB plugs (USB and C). It will show lighting bolt on phone but screen never goes to standby and phones heats up. It never charges. Android Auto just wont connect. I'm tech savy and it may just be my phone. (Pending service appt)
>One day the left side 360 cam showed pixelated image on screen. Has yet to return.
>I still have black specs on windows that are a b**ch to remove. I used a razor blade and somehow managed to scratch windows. Not sure this is related to the "Mayfly" situation or not. I think the spots came from the manufacturing process, as the substance is difficult to remove.
>I swear there is a slight transmission shudder with 3rd gear. Its nothing major, but I can definitely tell a difference with that gear and all others. (Will keep watching that)
>Ride quality is good, but I expected better. I test drove Tahoes before this (based my purchase off of Tahoe) with magnetic ride and it was better. My Yukon does not have that, only the "premium smooth ride" suspension.
>5.3L is severally lacking in power, in my opinion. I'm coming from 2019 Ram Hemi. Probably the slowest vehicle I've owned. Would recommend the 6.2L.
>No more adjustable pedals; which would be nice because I don't thing the adjustable power steering comes out far enough.

Should we create a 2021 problems and solution thread?

Sorry for the long post. I like vehicles and purchase or lease very often. I'm very picky, maybe to picky. I am really hoping the dealer can solve my small complaints, because it really is an excellent vehicle. My kids love it; the media system/infotainment is great. Looks awesome, inside and out. I just have reliability concerns and really can;t stand interior squeaks and creaks!

Thanks

Thank you for posting this detailed initial assessment. This increases our knowledge base, and give folks in a similar situation some things to be aware of and look out for.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's the difference between buying an extended factory warranty ( Additional 2 years bumper to bumper warranty..) and buying the GM extended protection plan? which is a better deal?
Can you negotiate the price of these plans or buy from another dealer than purchasing from?

Since I am not a fan of extended warranties I cannot speak to which is a better priced warranty to buy after the bumper to bumper stops.

You can negotiate and I definitely would. Especially if you are not done with the bumper to bumper warranty yet and yes, you can buy from whoever you wish to buy from from.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I like how you sum’d it up...

The devil is in the details. BEFORE purchasing the extended warranty read the very fine print and pay particular attention to the exceptions. You may find that there are multiple exceptions resulting in non-covered items.

Factory vs Service Contract (S/C) is difficult lately though. I’ve seen some posting GMPP is leaving them high & dry on diagnostics and unusual occurrences.

A bit to chew on though, CA has the most stringent standards for S/C being sold. Just a few sell them on vehicles North of 90K. Ally (yea, the bank) and AUL are two that exist here in Cali. Both are monitored by the CA Dept of Corporations and CA Attorney General.

I was quoted $5.9K by Ally for a S/C on our 09 Platinum w/ 130K mi. The Rep from Ally told me that their S/C sold by them in other states are mostly governed on what CA demands of them. Once a S/C is established on a vehicle sold in CA they slice off what’s NOT required by the other states they sell the contract in.

Unknowingly, I’ve promoted S/C but should of been promoting S/C sold in Cali. The only reason we have our 09 Escalade Plat today is because the S/C purchased on our 08 Denali AWD in ‘14 @ 96K paid almost $15k in covered items like p/s rack, pan & rear mail seal (2x), Alt (2x), radiator (2x), rear air shocks & comp’r, seals at rear brake /axle plates and all other seals fluid associated & water pump. There’s a few more but can’t remember.

So much documented, deferred and current maint was preformed by the S/C on a one owner truck from ‘14 to ‘20 in 40k miles the truck sold for $7K less than what we paid for it ($19.9K). The cost of fixing the failing black paint and cracked dash are the factors the prompted us to sell it last Feb. The proceeds from that sale paid for all but $2.5K to purchase our 09 Esky Plat that has super thick white pearl paint and a leather dash that won’t crack.

No S/C was purchased on the 09. The 08 trained us on how to care & maint the Esky. Figure we saved $68k on depreciation w/ the Esky purchase and it’s all due to the Yukon’s S/C allowing us to sell it private party. Resale on on the 07-09 NNBS are crazy high. I figure resale on the 12-14 NNBS will be identical. So yes, if you get a good warranty or S/C you can bank on your NNBS purchase. Purchasing Esky to obtain the proven tri coat paint and / or leather dash will let you be immune from the two most expensive and annoying failures on this series of trucks.

BoyWonder41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All I am in the market for a full-size SUV and obviously love the look at new Tech and space of the Yukon.

I would definitely wait for the a AT4 for off-road version.

I have to be honest I am nervous as you know the old adage of never buying a first year model redesign.

I have always been a Toyota guy and love the durability and reliability. That being said I am open to getting a Yukon.

I am close to buying a Land Cruiser but still entertaining perhaps picking up this rig later this year.

A question to the group, If you were going to keep this car for 200,000 miles would you have any concerns buying the first year?

Any concern with the air suspension that it will last for many years.

How reliable do you think this new version will be?

Thanks for the feedback
Eric
If your looking for an easy 200k miles then I would stick with Toyota. The last Honda I bought used never needed anything but spark plugs but owned a 2007 & 2015 Yukon. 2007 had to rebuild the trans then motor failed at 130k (couldn’t hold oil pressure). The 2015 was better but always had some recall and also minor exterior trim problems. I wouldn’t buy first year model again.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy the Land Cruiser. If I was in the market for a new vehicle and could afford it, GM wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Yes, the interior is a little dated. That said, I am not a fan of electronic-controlled “everything” and with the LC you still get some freedom.

R Black

Reaction score
Hey All I am in the market for a full-size SUV and obviously love the look at new Tech and space of the Yukon.

I would definitely wait for the a AT4 for off-road version.

I have to be honest I am nervous as you know the old adage of never buying a first year model redesign.

I have always been a Toyota guy and love the durability and reliability. That being said I am open to getting a Yukon.

I am close to buying a Land Cruiser but still entertaining perhaps picking up this rig later this year.

A question to the group, If you were going to keep this car for 200,000 miles would you have any concerns buying the first year?

Any concern with the air suspension that it will last for many years.

How reliable do you think this new version will be?

Thanks for the feedback
Eric

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I actually purchased the 2020 Tahoe to avoid the independent rear suspension. I was not interested in further reducing any of the Tahoe's off highway capability than was already lost with the switch to IFS between the solid (Beam frt & RR axle) V1500 Blazer (K5 Blazer) and the GMT400 platform with IFS in front solid axle in back that replaced it around 1992.

An independent suspension of the type commonly designed and applied to factory SUVs whether front or rear, inherently reduces overall wheel travel and 'working' ground clearance.

For instance on a conventional solid axle 4x4 when you place your tire on a rock (as you should on challenging rocky trails ....going from high pt to high pt under your tires to reduce chances of hitting something else) when the suspension travels upward it also takes the axle assembly upward, out of the way of any other obstructions that might hang you up or damage the axle. On an IFS when one side articulates upward into the wheel well, the center of the vehicle can be thought of as being thrust downward relative to the level resting axis from hub to hub

An independent front AND rear takes the Chev. 1/2 ton 4x4 another step closer to merely an inclement weather on pavement vehicle.

It all depends on what your expectations of the vehicle are.

The Ford Explorer, the kind commonly used by Police forces these days (not that I'm a fan of Fords at all), actually is dropping their independent rear suspension and going with a straight axle again, for ...I believe 2021. Don't know their reasoning, if I had to guess it was not to increase off-road capability but rather to decrease initial cost and lifetime servicing cost to increase the value for the fleet market.

R Black

Reaction score
Just buy the Land Cruiser. If I was in the market for a new vehicle and could afford it, GM wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Yes, the interior is a little dated. That said, I am not a fan of electronic-controlled “everything” and with the LC you still get some freedom.

A lot there to agree with, though, I am a fan of GMs.
A nice '91 TLC would be great off road, I think that was the last year for the solid front axle, and yeah the 2020 Tahoe for example feels like it has to tell me stuff all the time, which is why I drive my 74 Cutlass a lot. Hmmm......

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I actually purchased the 2020 Tahoe to avoid the independent rear suspension. I was not interested in further reducing any of the Tahoe's off highway capability than was already lost with the switch to IFS between the solid (Beam frt & RR axle) V1500 Blazer (K5 Blazer) and the GMT400 platform with IFS in front solid axle in back that replaced it around 1992.

An independent suspension of the type commonly designed and applied to factory SUVs whether front or rear, inherently reduces overall wheel travel and 'working' ground clearance.

For instance on a conventional solid axle 4x4 when you place your tire on a rock (as you should on challenging rocky trails ....going from high pt to high pt under your tires to reduce chances of hitting something else) when the suspension travels upward it also takes the axle assembly upward, out of the way of any other obstructions that might hang you up or damage the axle. On an IFS when one side articulates upward into the wheel well, the center of the vehicle can be thought of as being thrust downward relative to the level resting axis from hub to hub

An independent front AND rear takes the Chev. 1/2 ton 4x4 another step closer to merely an inclement weather on pavement vehicle.

It all depends on what your expectations of the vehicle are.

The Ford Explorer, the kind commonly used by Police forces these days (not that I'm a fan of Fords at all), actually is dropping their independent rear suspension and going with a straight axle again, for ...I believe 2021. Don't know their reasoning, if I had to guess it was not to increase off-road capability but rather to decrease initial cost and lifetime servicing cost to increase the value for the fleet market.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't most military vehicles including the Hummer have independent front and rear suspensions? Not sure if they have as much faith in a solid rear axle like you do when it comes to off roading :) LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhinson